60" Plasma. Too big for over the fireplace?

Paul_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a 60" screen over their fireplace? After the demise of my 503MXE over the weekend I need to invest in a new one. I am looking at the new Pio LX608 as I think I need a bigger screen to make use of all of those pixels. :D

However, the screen will be wider than the chimney breast by about 2.5 inches each side. Will this look stupid due to the overhang? Anyone else hung a plasma this big over their chimney breast?

Test it. You know the measurement, cut out a big box or join card. Place it stand back and ......... I think it will look a bit odd.

I think a screen that sits 2.5" over the brest either side is gonna look daft, out of place, and will smack of "look how big my TV is" ;)

Hmm, you could be right guys. Looks like I'm going to have to get some cardboard and sticky tape :(

It might be too big, but not because of any overhang. Do the card thing, that's good, but also take note of the space above and below. There was a time I could boast, 'no-one has ever asked for a smaller screen', but now they have. We did, against my advice and better judgement, a Panasonic TH65PF9 above a fireplace. It simply filled too much of the space between the mantle shelf and the ceiling, and looked silly. I wouldn't worry about width, but just check how big it looks, and if there is a suggestion that you might be compensating for something, you may like to reconsider.

There was a time I could boast, 'no-one has ever asked for a smaller screen', but now they have. We did, against my advice and better judgement, a Panasonic TH65PF9 above a fireplace. It simply filled too much of the space between the mantle shelf and the ceiling, and looked silly.

My friend is considering putting his 63" above a fireplace. The house is Victorian with a 3.2m high ceiling.
Would that be big enough not to look silly?
The fireplace is 1.2m high and 1.5m wide. It couldbe replaced with a bigger fireplace.

I suppose the other problem is that if you put it higher up so that it looks OK aesthetically, it might be too high an angle for comfortable viewing.

Having a huge tv will in theory look good if the fire place is as wide as the tv, if its not, the tv will look stupid.

To make the chimney look as wide as the tv you could cheat by putting from floor to ceiling 3 inch wide by 2 inch deep battons on each side of the chimney and decorating them so they look like they are part of the chimney.

That would look ok and use no nails to glue that to each side of the chimey, As the battons would be for show you dont need to worry about make sure they are load bearing etc.

Tv makers are now making bigger and bigger tvs, god knows why as most houses in the UK are victorian where even a 42 inch looks big and i think a 42 inch is about the size of an average window in a victorian house.

Anyway people in the know have said for 1080 HD at 50 inch is the best bet, stick with that tv and you'll be ok.

But if you really want the 60 inch then go for it and enjoy.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still tempted to do this. Maw, I'm not too worried about it looking too big. After all I've got Nautilus 802's as my front speakers and they aint too sutle:D
The chimney breast is only about 3 inches deep, so it's not as though it sticks out too much. I will definitely do the cardboard thing though when I get a minute.

Cyril, I don't find the angle a problem as long as you are sitting far enough back. (I sit about 11-12ft back).

Well, I did the cardboard cutout thing, and even I had to admit, it looked too big.:thumbsdow

Looks like I'll just have to go for the 50" and save myself some money. I think that I can even use the same bracket:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom