60"-71" DLPs in the UK

N

Neelix

I have recently got back from Vegas where I saw the latest TV's that the US has on offer. What really caught my eye were the range of rear projection LCDs and DLPs. The LCDs were massive 60" and 71" and blew me away. The only thing that put me off was the narrow viewing angle. I saw a 50" DLP running on HD which was awesome and the viewing angle was perfect from side to side. So my question is, I am sold on the DLP technology but I would like to get a 60" screen if possible. From my research on here and elsewhere it would seem most UK models are around the 46" - 51"... is there a 60" available in the UK and what chip does it use? I would also want it to be future proof with DVI connections (HDMI/HDCP compliant I guess).

So what are my options if any at all? (I also take it that plasma can't compete, or at least not at DLP prices. Are there any 60" plasmas worth considering?)

Thanks for the link, I saw the Optoma 50" in the states but not the 65". Surprised the 65" is almost twice the price for just an extra 15" but it certainly looks like a stunning piece of kit. I will be buying in January so hopefully there may be some sale prices :)... but I doubt it! Do any of the other manufacturers produce larger than the 60"?

Thanks for the link, SIM2 site appears to be down at the moment. I have been looking at the RCA Thomson DLPs on the US site. It appears they have quite a range of 61" DLPs although I can't work out the price differences :confused:

HD61LPW162 (HD2+) - $3899

HD61LPW164 (HD3) - $3899

HD61LPW163 (HD2+) - $4199

HD61LPW165 (HD3) - $4199

It seems they are selling the HD2+ and HD3 chip for the same price. Judging by comments on here the HD2+ chip although older is still better technology.

These are the UK versions but it doesn't say what chip they have. I also notice they don't appear to have a RGB PC connection, I assume then the only way to connect a PC would be through a DVI graphics card.

61DLY645

61DSZ645

I also can't find any prices on these or locate any dealers :lease:

I saw the Thomson 61DSZ645 today in a shop and it is really bad, it was one of the worst pictures i ever seen from a DLP, as soon as you stepped one foot away from the center of the picture the picture almost vanished.

It was dim and very low contrast, i would not recommend it.

Cheers for the advice Lizzard. It's looking like I may have to settle for a 50" screen or double up the price to the Optoma 65". If I go for 50" then that causes problems in itself as nobody seems to be able to decide on which is the best... Sagem Axium, RD50, a Samsung with either the HD3 or HD2+ :lesson: :suicide: :zonked:

got 32" Panasonic Pk20 £1300 3 1/2 years old

what next

Samsung SP46l3hx rptv
or
Toshiba 46WM48P rptv
or
Sony VPl H50 LCD Projector

can you guy help
will be for High definition film got around 50 film
and 100" home made Screen

I have had an RD65 for a few weeks now, after viewing the set at Optoma offices in Watford and at the AV show in Hammersmith, I was very impressed with the finish of the case, the overall size and quality of the picture.

However I'm afraid to say that although the pictures via a PAL source are indeed good, the set is not NTSC compatible. The picture jerks slightly when feed a NTSC source (Region 1 DVD). I have tried the RD65 with 3 different DVD players, through all manor of different inputs and settings with no change.

So I then decided to contact Optoma about this problem which at the time they say they were not aware of. Their advertising at the time had NTSC compatible on the net and Boucher.

They have since changed their advertising to not NTSC compatible and have told me there this no way around this problem. Unless I can find a DVD player or external box which can convert NTSC to PAL and outputs a PAL feed the problem will remain.

As you can guess I am far from happy with this situation. I have become accustomed to the good quality pictures from the PAL source and would love to view my Region 1 (NTSC) collection with equal quality.

I am also confused as to how this problem can not be solved, as Optoma has a H77 DLP HD2+ projector which does not display this problem. Nor do other manufacturers as my father has an Infocus 7205 DLP HD2+, which displays NTSC signal with no problems. Does Optoma expect its customers who are mainly enthusiast’s only to have region 2 DVD’s in their collection.

I have had many phone calls to Optoma and sent a lengthy letter on the subject but still they are adamant that the RD65 can not display NTSC pictures via tweeking of the software or an external device. I now feel Optoma have a white elephant on their hands if this problem is not resolved.

Are there any RD65 owners who have overcome this problem? Or does any one know of a device or DVD player which will convert a NTSC signal to PAL?

Your help would be much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom