1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6"x9"/8"three way/components?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by James45, Jan 15, 2003.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might as well get this started.

looking to replace the speakers in the rear, made by me, parcel shelf. I've currently got a pair of ancient Pioneer 8" three way speakers and am looking to upgrade. do 6x9s give a different sound to their circular cousins? and would seperate tweeters and mids (something like the Boston Acoustics ccomponent) be a better option quality wise.

running the speakers from the headunit (sony cdx-m670), no external amps involved at the moment although that may be the next step.

2. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i got a pioneer cd head unit running some kenwood 6*9 on a rectangular wood thats mounted under the parcel shelf, all this carpeted as well, and it kicks, there is no need for a amp.
    But I am told sound can vary depending on the boot shape.
    so hers a new vw polo, I've also heard 6*9 in a mk2 golf and they kick.
    I had a calibra and the acoustics were crap.

Personally I'd go for 8*10 speakers Kenwood do them.

3. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i didnt answer ur question

The only main advantage of components is that u can place the mid/tweeter at different hights, u cannot do this with 6*9's

4. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 6x9s I have in my present car ( Selling next week) were a disapointment. They are nothing amazing, some Sony Explode, the modle number escapes me. The midrange is excellent, just no base or depth to the sound. And if you up the base setting on the head unit it just becomes all wolly, and make that horrible bor racer noice best described as WOB WOB WOB :D

Any ideas on the best way to get tight punchy base?

Paul

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Buy a decent sub and an amp.

Kicker subs are buy far the best car audio subs on the market IMO, team this up with a rockford fosgate amp and hey presto, nic tight punchy bass. Rockford fosgate pride themselves on the quality of there amps and to be honest I can see why they are perfect in nearly every way.

6x9's are meant as a midway between midrange speakers and subs, they give a little more kick in the bass than a mid, without compromising vocal clarity.

As far as mounting them is concerned, buy a stealth shelf, for about £50 you get a wooden shelf, that is covered so the speakers cannot be seen, but it also has holes precut so you can mount the speakers in the shelf.

6. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where can you get a stelth shelf from?

Paul

7. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
  8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    My advice, don't put speakers in the rear.Concentrate on the front, consider a set of comps and amp them and a 10'' or 12'' sub for the boot.

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Pioneer 8" speakers have always been excellent with regards to bass and you may be dissapointed with alot of 6X9's.
    The theory is that an oval 6x9's gives approx. the same amount of bass as an 8" speaker, in my opinion this is not the case I've always prefered 8" speakers.
    The advise about concentrating on the front end is correct, these are the most important speakers in the car then follow it up with a single sub this will give the best system for quality and imaging.
    Kicker subs I have found to good for dance type music but JL are far more musical and still do an excellent job on dance.
    In todays market the norm is to fill the car with as many speakers and amps as possible, some of the best systems I've built or heard have only had components in the front and single 10" in the rear.
    Oblivion, check the phasing on you speakers the Sony's are not fantastic for quality but do give a resonable amount of bass.

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have infinity kappa 4" components up front, but the mounting location in the renault dash is hideously flimsy and the grill doesn't allow for any midrange cone movement, so short of building door pods for some Bostons (which are by the way the best component car speakers I have ever heard) I am relying on the back shelf for bass. sub in the boot ain't really an option as I use the boot a lot.

as for shelves build your own, it couldn't be any simpler. just use your existing parcel shelf as a template to cut out some MDF, don't use anything thinner than 18mm (i used 15mm on my latest one and the bass is horribly boomy and uncontrolled. then cover with some acoustic cloth (from car audio dealers) using spray on glue (one of the messiest things ever invented).
    Cutting out some MDF spacers for underneath maybe neccessary as well if the midrange and tweeter unit of the 6x9s is not flush with the level of the shelf.

11. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What Renault is it?

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    clio phase 2, in dash 4" mounts with a nasty plastic grill that the cone will touch if played loud enough, i need to build some sort of solid spacer to push the speaker further back into the dash and away from the grill. some dynamat is also needed in the dash to deaden it a bit.

13. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Got one of those vibe 10" sub with Amp and it really rocks. All I did is just check the low frequency cut off of the 6x9 (sony xs5693) and the Pioneer 6x8. I think it was 30 then I set my sub crossover to 50 (i never believe car speaker ratings) and hey presto really good sound.

14. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unfortunatley I'm off work at the moment so I cannot verify this but I 'm sure that you can get a 6" speaker in the doors of the Clio. You will need to remove the door panel to check for mounting depth and clearence from the window.

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish... there are no grills in the door panel and it would involve cutting, which I won't be doing.
    having said that I was listening to Massive Attack on the drive in this morning and it sounded fantastic, so I think I will build a new shelf out of thicker MDF to sort out the bass, work on some spacers to push the infinity drivers away from the grill and sort out the acoustics of the dashboard.

16. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In our peugot 309 in the rear parcel shelf we have a pair of 6x9s powered by a pro plus amp (was installed for free when my uncle owned the car) and i was thinking of getting a sub for it (though dad wont let me buy car audio as im 13 he'd end up having to fit it!) there was hardly any bass at al, shounded rubbish. and i found a switch for a subwoofer, turned the gain down to a quater and flicked the switch, hey presto, punchy, nearly seat shaking bass at the cost of flicking a switch!

17. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    componants in the back = waste of time, unless you spending like £300+ on them and another £300+ on an amp to run them. though i and most car audiophiles never have speakers in the back.. only in the front. the back is for bass only. 6x9's are a good fix for needing base.. 8" 3ways need to much power to sound bassy

18. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Is it this model ?
    Link

19. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tis indeed but I was talking about the fronts... those speaker placements in the rear are empty.

20. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    This must be them then Link