6 weeks to loose 2"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dUnKle, Apr 24, 2007.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Is it possible ?

Im currently 38" waist and seeming to be increasing all the time

Weighed self for first time EVER today and im 16 stone 2 (im 30 and around 5ft10)

I have always wanted to looses weight but when I lived with parents I found it difficult as the house was full of chrisps and chocolate.

Now live with my GF and both of us want to do something about our weight

Now my goal is to be a 36" waist by the 2nd of June (if possible) or as close to (if not) I would then like to be a more healthy weight (whatever that may be) by end of year.

Question is how ?

Have cut out all the rubbish as best we can - cut back on beer but I guess the one thing I lack is excercise

We are pretty much determined to go and buy a treadmill (this reebok one which is half price at argos) and see what that can do

I know people will say "save your money, run on the streets" but my self confidence (mainly cause of my size) is low and I just will not do it. Would love to take up swimming to but again I dont liek my body at moment and so will not go.

Has anyone got any tips on how to become a new me ?

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,684
    The Atkins diet does not suit everyone, but for me I dropped over 20kg in 3 months and about 4 inches on the trouser size. I shan't mention the "problems" the diet gave me personally, but on the whole I was surprised by how the weight dropped off.

EDIT: PS Your Avatar isn't a self portrait is it? ;) :)

3. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    has the weight stayed off?

4. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Join a gym, where baggy clothes if you are paranoid of your weight.

I used to be ultra fit and ripped to high heaven but then I got promoted at work and started working long hours. At Christmas I weighed nearly 15 stone and I am only 5ft 8", was a total lard ass.

I cut all the crap out and started going back down the gym like a demon.

In three months I am back to a 34" waist bench pressing over 120kgs and am starting to look awesome again. It has not been easy and I have been hitting the gym very very hard. When I started in January I was down there in a baggy t-shirt and and baggy trousers, going the first time is the hardest once you have done it once it will get much easier.

If your missus wants to lose wait also then it is a massive bonus as you will be able to motivate each other.

Cut out the microwave meals also, they give you man boobs (fact)

5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Sadly its not far off :(

Dont fancy the Atkins as have a few dietry problems as it is - also work shifts (earlies, lates and nights) and as I understand it the Atkins aitnt very good for that

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,034
    Cut out processed food, eat small meals often (5-7 small meals a day), don't eat until you're full.

Eat plenty of fruit and veg, and drink plenty of water. If you don't want to run/jog in public, go for a brisk walk instead. The weather is nice at the moment, so shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

But whatever you do, don't starve yourself!

7. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    There is no way I would join a Gym - been member of two and just did not like them. I am sure they work for some people but I feel to self concious that I just feel like I was being stared at. I know it sounds silly but its true

Oh and if for instance one has man boobs, what gets rid of em ?

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,034
    Reducing your fat % and toning up your muscles.

9. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    I lost 3 stone last year and kept it off. I think the excersise is more key to success than the eating. I started off getting up at 5am and walking for a couple of miles. I then gradually increased this to 5-7 miles. I also only ate once a day, my evening meal. This was the best bit. I ate what I wanted and still had a bottle of wine each night. The weight came off at 1-2 pounds a week and it really was that easy. This way may not suit everyone and it's probably not the best way to do it but it worked for me. I now have a decent treadmill for the winter months. I just stick my ipod on and away I go.:thumbsup:

10. zmoosa1

zmoosa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Is there a reason why you've set the deadline 2nd June. Not that it's a bad thing, but if you're new to the whole "dieting" thing then it may be better to set targets as you progress, like "last week I lost 5 pounds, next week my target is 6 pounds, and so on". I believe that it is far better for your body to have a gradual loss of weight rather than trying to burn it all off in a short space of time as quite often that weight come back as quick as you lost it. Just my humble opinion.

11. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I don't agree with only eating once. What mjn said is the best advice, thats what I do, keeps your metabolism working so your body does not store as much fat.

Excercise is definitely the key. Maybe you have joined the wrong type of gym.

12. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    Like I said it worked for me and maybe not the best way medically but I sure enjoyed losing weight and still able to enjoy a drink and a curry or whatever every night.:smashin:

13. Lezman

Lezman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    The general accepted limit of healthy weight loss per week is 2-3 pounds, or is as described by most things I've read.
    3 pounds x 6 weeks gives you 18 pounds which is 1 stone 4 lbs.

Not to dissuade you that you can lose weight faster than that, but as posted above try keep your weights loss constant each week (it should help keep the weight off).

A brisk walk in the park with hills etc is much harder than it sounds too, so might be worth a try.

Exercise is key though as said, the more exercise you do, the faster the basic metabolic rate you body runs at at all times (even when resting).

Good luck mate!:thumbsup:

14. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Lifting weights is in fact a great way to lose weight. The more muscle you have the more calories you will expend, it is essentially your metabolism. When lifting weights your heart gets a real good workout, at anaerobic levels.

There are a number of things for you to consider:

1. Eat 6 times a day instead of 3. (Smaller portions, this will keep your metabolism up) Meals should have the right macro nutrient profile for your requirements(eg %carbs,protien,fat) Your protein shakes are a good way of making up a couple of the meals.

2. Take EFA daily. (Capsules don't really give you enough intake) Good choice would be Udo's Oil. Your body needs fat to give you energy and to absorb vitamins. Misconceptions are that all fat is bad.

3. Exercise.... as some people have already mentioned cardio. The easiest way to ensure your cardio is going to have effect is to get a heart rate monitor. These are not expensive and can be got from places like Argos etc. What this will do will enable you to keep your heart rate in the optimum zones for fat burning. Low intensity(aerobic) 60 - 75% 0f maximum heart rate. Or HIIT which will cycle your heart rate between LI(aerobic) and HI(anaerobic). If you can do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach eat approx 1hour afterwards. Don't overdo the cardio, 3-4 times per week at 30mins - 1hour per session. Combine with weights on alternate days.

4. Take pictures to track your progress, ignore the scales use the mirror.

5. Have a cheat day per week where you will eat excess of calories. This will satisfy any cravings and keep your body guessing.

6. Drink plenty of water. If you drink when you are thirsty its too late.

7. Don't skip meals. Your body will go into starvation mode and start to shut your metabolism down.

8. The Internet is a great tool, so much info. Here is a couple of sites to get you going. The first was a great inspiration for me. Check out John's transformation photos (pictures section) and if your jaw doesn't hit the floor I'll be amazed!! The second has thousands of articles ranging from training, food, supplementation, and calculators to work out calorific requirements based on your input.

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

Good luck let us know how you get on

15. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I use the bottom link, great site.

16. breszh

breszh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A great way to loose weight is to cycle to work.

I lost 1 1/2 stone in three months cycling just 3 miles each way with no change in eating or drinking habits. If you live a long way from work, chuck the bike in the boot and park up 3 or 4 miles from work.

I now cycle up to 15 miles each way, although not every day.

Oh, and if you already own a bike, its free!

17. Mickey G

Mickey G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I once went to a dietician seminar. The main guy started off by saying, if you take in less calories than you burn then you will lose weight. But no-body want to hear that.

For me it's a constant battle. It definitely gets harder as you get older.

There are many tips I could give you but for every person it's different.

I think the most import thing is to make the decision to lose weight. Also, IHO, the belt is the best measure for losing weight. Forget the scale. They'll only depress you and it's not a good indication.

good luck.

18. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Started doing this properly around xmas time and feel better for it - its only 10 minutes ecah way but I guess its something

the 6 weeks thing coincides with a paintballing day out thats been organised and will be first time I have seen may of the people going in 2 years or so

19. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The well informed members on these boards have provided a wealth of potential solutions.

I could do with just a little reduction of my waistline and would like to develope my upper body.

But the sad facts are:

1.) I despise exercise in its formal and traditional manifestations. I find it dull, dull, dull. There's no way I'm going to run, or go to a gym. The very culture and mindset is abhorrent to me.

2.) I hate veg and fruit. I like rich continental and Asian cuisine. I like fine wine and European Beer. I port and cigars. I cannot dine on Tortoise food. I am a carnivore.

So, it does present a bit of a predicament. However, I walk a great deal and do a large amount of lifting. I also do eat a healthy diet but to ensure a sensible fruit and veg intake, I have to prepare a lot of elaborate meals as it's just unpalatable any other way.

Take salads for example. I won't be doing with any of these leaves and twigs you find in contemporary fare. You need to add grapes or apple. May be some exotic cheese. Also olives (stuffed with anchovies) or nuts perchance.

Spinnage is very pleasant if served with fresh cream and a lightly sauteed trout....

But I digress. The only rigourous workout that I can think of that is both fun and burns off a large amount of calories, is sex. So may be that should be everyones exercise of choice.

20. waynertron

waynertron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi Dunkle,

In mid August last year, I came to the same conclusion as yourself, but I was probably over 19st (I didn't weigh myself until a month or so in to the diet). This morning I was 12st 11, and am about 33" waist (from 40"). It is possible, but it will take will power.
    The way I did it was to eat very low fat ( e.g. bran flakes for breakfast, salad with a little chicken in for lunch, soup or beans on toast or similar for dinner and lots of fruit around for when you get hungry between meals).
    I was surprised at how long it has taken for me not to feel constantly hungry, in fact up until a few weeks ago, I was pretty much always hungry. I would fill up quickly, but was also hungry most of the day.
    Also, if i had 'bad stuff' in the house, I would have eaten it, so I didn't buy it.

I also do a good 45 minutes every day on my exercise bike, in front of the TV. I think if i'd joined a gym, I would have given up months ago, you sound like me. So advice number 1 would be make the exercise as easy as possible for you to do, or it will be all too easy to think of excuses not to do it. I didn't run, as I don't think it's good for the joints and in an upstairs flat, I didn't want to annoy the neighbours :D . I got a magnetic resistance bike, which is very quiet.

I would also say that you *really* have to want to do it. If you do, sticking to the regime will be easy, again it's all about not finding excuses to stop.

As has been said, setting a strict target might be demoralising if you see it slipping away. It depends on your character. My only target was to not be a lardo any more, i wasn't bothered how long it took, just seeing myself go in the right direction was all the encouragement I needed.

Don't weigh yourself every day (like I did) as that can be demoralising too. Your weight will fluctuate and you may stop losing for a week or two (plateau), but don't get discouraged. The plateaus used to really bug me. Just keep telling yourself that as long as you keep the routine up, you will keep losing weight.

Best of luck, stay strong.

W.

Time for my 45 minute sweat-athon.... Top gear today I think :)

21. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just lost 1.5 stone in 4 weeks, so I'd say yes! :thumbsup: I'm not a medical man though and I'm not suggesting anybody else follows the Smiffy Diet. Also - I was 3 stone overweight when I started, I'm sure the second 1.5 stone will take lots longer than a month to shift, but we shall see.

Anyhoo, how I done it:

• Breakfast - bowl of cerial, splash of milk
    • Walk to work (1.5miles)
    • 11ish - apple
    • Lunchtime - tuna sweetcorn salad or half bowl soup or studentesque sandwich if I got lucky last night (see later)
    • Walk home (1.5miles again)
    • 1000 cals on exercise bike while watching Simpsons
    • Dinner - whatever I fancy but small portion (tops = half what I used to pack away in the evenings)
    • Stroll to Sainburys to arrive 30mins before closing time to hoover up all the cheap ham and rolls on the reduced aisle, then fast walk back (3-4 mile round trip)
    • A bath, because come bedtime I bloody stink.
    And doing that for a month has lost me a stone and a half so far.

Dan

22. Lezman

Lezman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Its probably also worth saying that once you've got into a routine of healthy eating/exercise its much much easier to keep going!

The hardest part in my experience is the first 3 weeks..after that its easier.

23. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,684
    Unfortunately no, but that's as a result of a sedentary lifestyle. As Russel says, regular gym/exercise is the way to go.

24. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Exercise hard and eat whole foods with no proccessed food, dont even think about eating rubbish once, if you do u have allready failed.

a diet doesnt mean salad it means good whole foods, pasta,chicken,fish,rice,oats etc eat 6 meals a day containing these types of food.

Not eating is even worse then eating, it just shocks your body into thinking there is no food and u will store more fat. But eat these good whole foods and your body will start using your fat reserve with exercise.

I see woman diet and fail everytime it is funny they eat salad (wrong) for a week think they have been good then eat a cake or chocalate bar lol all the while they think there excercising by sitting there fat ass on a bike watching tv.

Do NOT watch tv or anything else you are doomed to fail, for men exercise is meant to release dopermine into your brain to make it feel good, to get the blood pumping round your body, nothing better then hitting the weights or punch bag while letting out alot of steam.

25. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Pasta is not a food. It is a form of loft insulation.

26. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,920

Cheers - not only to you but to everyone for advice

Have ordered the treadmill, already have road bike and exercise bike - guess all I need now is an hour long motervational playlist for my ipod

27. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    the treadmill or excerise bike is the most BORING way to exercise, nothing but a chor u will not look forward too. Not only that it is hard on the joints.

I would be gettign a partner and doing weight or boxing training great fun, not an exercise bike like a woman.

28. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The Rocky IV Soundtrack, nothing better.

29. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Have you seen the Nike+ system? I haven't tried it myself as I don't run but it looks interesting. I do use an exercise bike every day though, and I wouldn't want to be without the iPod.

30. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Is that iPod a hard drive or flash based one? I wouldn't reccomend the first one :)
    If you have a hD one, jsut buy a cheap flash player