6 to 8 weeks for refund if you cancel

J

jgb75

I cancelled my Sky HD install a couple of weeks before installation as I found out that I would be moving abroad soon. I just phoned Sky to find out why they had not yet refunded the £299 to my credit card. They told me that there is a problem refunding to credit cards so they have to issue a cheque instead. This will take 6 to 8 weeks.

Does this sound likely and/or reasonable to anyone else?

Should I just get the credit card company to issue a chargeback?

That sounds totally unreasonable to me. I cancelled yesterday and asked the guy how long the refund would take and he said within 48 hours!

Here's hoping!

Astro

Alterastro said:
That sounds totally unreasonable to me. I cancelled yesterday and asked the guy how long the refund would take and he said within 48 hours!

Here's hoping!

Astro

Sorry to bother you but what did you cancel for?

Cheers :thumbsup:

I have been waiting for a refund since 23rd of April and I still have not got it:(

I was told last week it would be back to my card by Thusrsday of last week and it didnt go back, they then said give it today and guess what no refund, turns out instead of refunding back to my card they refunded it back to my account leaving me £299 in credit. They now say it will go back to my card by Friday.

I would have thought legally they have to refund you in the manner you paid for it, certainly if you paid by CC with it's protections you could complain to your providor and regardless of how big BSKYB is they rely on the support of the finance industry and banks who dwarf them.

I think the law is that if you buy something and then cancel it you should receive the refund within 30 days.

gilford said:
Sorry to bother you but what did you cancel for?

Cheers :thumbsup:
After reading loads of stuff on these forums, I've come to the conclusion that:
  1. A lot of content on the HD channels aren't HD
  2. A lot of the stuff that is, I've seen
  3. If it's movies, I probably have seen them or have them on DVD
  4. Not much 5.1
  5. Of the stuff that I haven't seen, most of it, I don't want to
  6. The quality of some of the HD content is dubious
  7. I watch a 37" from 10 feet - benefit will be minimal at that distance
  8. The whole install farce
  9. And other things that aren't that important.

Because of that, I just cant justify the expense. I already have Sky+, so all I'm gaining for £300 and £10 p.m. is a few programmes at best. I'm sure more will be added in time and I'll look again in 6/12 months (or when my Sky+ dies :eek: ). In the meantime, I look forward to HD-DVD :thumbsup:

Cheers

Astro

I called up Sky yesterday to enquire about changing channel packages and I asked what would happen if I cancelled Sky HD, she said I could not under any circumstances cancel within 12 months.

But then again the Installer told me I could never unplug the phone socket even after 12 months either.

I didn't bother to mention the 7 day distance selling act.

Ideally I would have gotten one without a contract, but they are hard to come by.

As usual it's just on CS who doesn't know enough about what they are selling.

I also had to cancel a SkyHD install as the person I booked the install with messed it up.

I currently have SKY+ and 2 other normal sky boxes, I wanted a normal box moved and skyHD put in its place, so basically 4 subscriptions. A mistake was made somewhere along the way and I had to cancel and rebook. I was told I would get a refund, this was on the 23rd april and I still havent had the money.

Sky are being a right bunch of assholes about it, they say they have applied the refund and I now have to send them copy bank statements for the past 2 months showing both the £299 amounts they took out and no refund.

I am really not happy at all with the service but have no real alternative seeing as Telewest dont have the HD service that sky have.

My install has also been pushed back by 2 weeks on top of all this, not happy at all with sky's service, will be writing a very angry letter to accompany the bank statements.

Alterastro said:
After reading loads of stuff on these forums, I've come to the conclusion that:
  1. A lot of content on the HD channels aren't HD
  2. A lot of the stuff that is, I've seen
  3. If it's movies, I probably have seen them or have them on DVD
  4. Not much 5.1
  5. Of the stuff that I haven't seen, most of it, I don't want to
  6. The quality of some of the HD content is dubious
  7. I watch a 37" from 10 feet - benefit will be minimal at that distance
  8. The whole install farce
  9. And other things that aren't that important.

Because of that, I just cant justify the expense. I already have Sky+, so all I'm gaining for £300 and £10 p.m. is a few programmes at best. I'm sure more will be added in time and I'll look again in 6/12 months (or when my Sky+ dies :eek: ). In the meantime, I look forward to HD-DVD :thumbsup:

Cheers

Astro

thinking of cancelling my install after this... but the World Cup in HD!

gilford said:
Then make use of the 30 day trial period my friend!

That is what I'm doing :):):):)

What's the deal on the 30 day trial period? I can't find any info on it.

cj said:
What's the deal on the 30 day trial period? I can't find any info on it.
you can use it up to 30 days and then cancel for a refund. i think.

jgb75 said:
I cancelled my Sky HD install a couple of weeks before installation as I found out that I would be moving abroad soon. I just phoned Sky to find out why they had not yet refunded the £299 to my credit card. They told me that there is a problem refunding to credit cards so they have to issue a cheque instead. This will take 6 to 8 weeks.

Does this sound likely and/or reasonable to anyone else?

Should I just get the credit card company to issue a chargeback?
Don't want to rub it in - but I cancelled mine and was refunded within a few days onto the original card.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom