• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

6 speakers to amp

Fletch8

Novice Member
Hi,

In order to listen to music, in the past, I’ve only ever used my surround sound.

So I am experienced in connecting multiple speakers to my 5.1. receiver which has outputs for multiple speakers.

I’ve never had a stereo or hifi.

I want six in ceiling speakers in my dining kitchen, just for listening to music. But the amps for music have just two outputs, left and right. How do I connect 6 speakers.

thinking of using a Denon DRA800H with 6 x C165’s

I don’t have the speakers yet and just want to instal the cable prior to the plaster coming next week. If it was for 5.1 I would just run a cable from where each speaker is going to be positioned, back to where my media cupboard is going to be.

D

Deleted member 24354

How big is your kitchen? Mine is 70m2 and I have 2xC165 and a Gemini II sub. Do you really need 6? If you really want to run 6 have a look at an AVR.

Fletch8

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply.

my kitchen is 10m x 8m 80m2.
I had richer sounds around today and he recommended 6.
Maybe 4 would be sufficient. But then I don’t know how to connect 4 either.

is Denon avrx3600 what you mean.

gibbsy

A Denon AVR would be able to connect six speakers and you could use the all channel stereo mode to have the same signal to all those speakers. It would be fine for background music.

Fletch8

Novice Member
thanks for the help guys.

So as with a 5.1 receiver I would wire each speaker Individually back to my media cabinet where the Denon avr would be.

gibbsy

Posts crossed. The 3600 would be able to run 5.1.2 in the lounge but just a stereo set up in another room or Zone 2 as it's marked on the receiver. This would be the connection.

Conne SP 7.1 2ch X36E3

T

Fletch8

Novice Member
Really helpful, thanks.

could I use height 1 (Pair) and height 2 (pair) as a zone (dining room) to give me 4 speakers in the dining room.

so I would run all cables, 7 in lounge and 4 in dining room to the Denon 3600 in a media cupboard in the lounge.

music, controlled from Alexa in the dining room.

have I got that right?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Recently bought the RXA1080. I have an issue with the Analog upscaler. I connected my Laserdisc player using the composite leads and when watching widescreen discs, the bars at the top and bottom are grey not black. Is there a setting to make them black? I am watching them connected to my LG OLED C7.
Really helpful, thanks.

could I use height 1 (Pair) and height 2 (pair) as a zone (dining room) to give me 4 speakers in the dining room.

so I would run all cables, 7 in lounge and 4 in dining room to the Denon 3600 in a media cupboard in the lounge.

music, controlled from Alexa in the dining room.

have I got that right?

No, the AVRX3600 is limited to one main room plus an additional 2 channel second audio zone. It lacks any ability to reassign the over channels to more additional powered audio zones.

Higher tier models may allow you to have additional zones, but may also require that you use additional external amplification in order to power the speakers in those additional zone. The limit is usually 3 zones including the main room, but this is only if using the top end models.

Also note that no 5.1 channel receiver includes any integral ability to facilitate an additional audio zone. This is limited to receivers with 7 channels or more.

If wanting to have a lumtiroom setup then maybe look into using HEOS or a Yamaha AV receiver equipped with MusicCast. These systems allow you to have a wireless multiroom setup with multiple zones. They do however also require you use powered speakers soecifally made for use with such setups.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

So Richer Sounds suggested 6 speakers. Surely they suggested an Amp(s) to drive those speakers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
They suggested DRA800H. With 6 C165’s.

but with two outputs how do I connect 6 speakers?

You can wire 4 speakers to the DRA800H. It has both speaker A and B terminals. The output to the B terminals would simply mirror what is being output to A.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Is there a single amp that would run 5.1.2 in one room then 4 speakers in another room (just for music).

Not really, no. You'd need at least a 9 channel AV receiver to give you the 7 channels required to power the 5.1.2 main room plus another 2 channels to power 2 more speakers in an additional zone.

I'd suggest using the second zone pre outs on a receiver to expand the number of speakers you can drive in the additional zone. Driving 4 speakers via just 2 outputs on the AV receiver is going to crwate problems related to the impedance you are imposing upon the AV receiver.

Fletch8

Novice Member
Ok, so DRA800H in the dining room with 4 c165’s.

Then 2700h in lounge running 5.1.2.

both being Denon will have heos and can play the same music via Alexa.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
To answer your question on how to wire 6 speakers to 2 channels, purchase 4 Ohm speakers and wire 3 in series per channel, giving 12 Ohms per side. For background / non critical listening this will give adequate level and present an easy load to the amplifier.

If you can only get 8 Ohm speakers, wire them in parallel, but use a commercial PA amplifier that can safely drive down to 2 Ohms. A small Crown XLS would be perfect for this.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom