6 or 8Ohms for MS Avant Premier?

juneau

Hey all. I recently purchased my new receiver from these very forums and i'm unsure as to what impedance setting i should be using on the receiver for my speakers. The speakers in question are Mordaunt Short MS302 and MS304. Everywhere i look the impedance is stated at 4-8Ohms, including the MS website and the back of the speakers. The only place that states differently is in the user manual.

http://www.mordauntshort.com/assets/documents/Premiere_Manual.pdf

It states 4Ohms.

So how would i run these speakers? I can use 6 or 8Ohms on the Yammy i have, and it's currently running at 8Ohms.

Thanks. :smashin:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45086

You will be OK with 8Ohms.

I have the premiere set with 902i fronts, and all are 8Ohms.

I have read on here about the Ohms thing and from that used 8 Ohms.

neuty

dante01

Distinguished Member
If it states in the speaker's manual to use 4 Ohms then it mplies that you use the nearest setting which is 6 Ohms. A 6 Ohm amp shouldn't cause speakers with an impedance of 4 Ohms any trouble, but 8 Ohms has a greater potential to damage the speakers and/or the amp!

If you do use the 8 Ohms setting on the amp in conjunction with low impedance speakers, ensure the receiver/amp is well ventilated.

Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity, but will also give a greater degree of reassurance when it comes to protecting both the amp and the speakers from overload.

All the "Low" setting of the switch is doing is stepping the rail voltage down so when testeding the amp at a specified distortion level, the amp will achieve that distortion level sooner since it runs out of headroom more quickly than it would in the "High" (8 ohm or more) setting. This in turn generates less heat since the amp isn't driven as hard. This in fact can cause clipping in the amplifier more since it can run out of headroom more easily. The switch is there more for certification purposes, but you should still be wary of heat build up in the amp if you choose not to use it!

It should also be noted that the receivr itself is a contributing factor. The more capable the receiver the less likely problems are to arise.

snapzproxsnapz001.jpg

Use the 8 Ohms setting (or higher) with low impedance speakers for better dynamics and overall fidelity, but use it with due diligence and caution, especially with low powered and entry level amps!

Last edited:

juneau

Thanks for that reply Dante. The way i see it is that the speakers can run at 4, 6 or 8Ohms or else it wouldn't say 4-8Ohms on the back of the speakers. I don't have the volume too high with it being a bedroom setup and the receiver in question is a Yamaha DSP-AX759SE. The amp isn't running hot but I'll give it a go at 6Ohms anyway. :smashin:

As reference,

http://www.mordauntshort.com/specifications.php?PID=25&Title=Specifications
http://www.mordauntshort.com/specifications.php?PID=26&Title=Specifications
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2861

Last edited:

juneau

Now have it running at 6Ohms and the amp is running quite a bit warmer. However i wouldn't say it was hot. IE you can still touch the top air vents without being burned. :D

I could still probably do with some more advice on this if anybody wants to help.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Now have it running at 6Ohms and the amp is running quite a bit warmer. However i wouldn't say it was hot. IE you can still touch the top air vents without being burned. :D

I could still probably do with some more advice on this if anybody wants to help.

Try it at 8 Ohms and see if there's an improvement in sound quality. Let it run a while to see how hot it gets.

juneau

The sound quality appears to be the same at 6 or 8ohms. The amp is definitely warmer at 6Ohms though, and it isn't on very loud at all.

What's a safe temp for an AV receiver? Have an old thermometer currently sitting on top of it while it's outputting Transformers and it's reached 88F so far.

The receivers manual states that if using 6Ohms the fronts must be 4Ohms or higher and the center and surrounds must be 6Ohms. For 8Ohms the the speakers must be 8Ohms or higher all round.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The sound quality appears to be the same at 6 or 8ohms. The amp is definitely warmer at 6Ohms though, and it isn't on very loud at all.

What's a safe temp for an AV receiver? Have an old thermometer currently sitting on top of it while it's outputting Transformers and it's reached 88F so far.

Look in the manual, it will more than likely tell you the safe operational temperature range in the spec's?

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's a member here, Tone-uk. He's been running low impedance speakers via a Yamaha 861 amp at 8 Ohms without detriment. He reckons the speakers sound better too. Maybe PM him?

If he starts babbling on about table lamps, remind him to take his tablets ;)

Tone-uk

Table lamps? Did someone say table lamps. Seems my red "bat" phone been ringing all afternoon. Try them - they sound so good - just do it during daylight hours so you can see.

Anyway - 6 or 8 ohm? I changed mine from 6 to 8 ohm's and whilst haven't noticed massive improvements in sound quality I know I've got more power on tap. It is when I turn it up super loud that I notice it wants to keep going.

Gets hotter after a while because it is being used at these high volumes. When I say hotter - I mean very warm. Not hot, hot.

Well worth it IMO. Unless you don't like it loud?

Here's my thread started a while back;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/987485-yamaha-owners-6-8-ohm.html#post9397198

Tone-uk

Save it for any parties you have around your gaff! Impress the kids with the turbo button your amp has! :cool:

Honestly, if I hardly ever had it loud I'd stick to 6 ohms because I can't notice a real difference in sound quality. My head tells me I can but, I'm not convinced by that (hence table lamp and t&e speaker cable :thumbsup:). There maybe good science proving 8ohms is better than 6ohms but, I haven't checked. Seems a bit silly to let the amp get warmer just for the sake of it - heat is the amps worse enemy!! It may shorten it's lifespan.

Mordaunt Short say 4-8 ohms - I take that as meaning 6 ohms is the optimum for the speakers to gain maximum performance and 4 or 8 ohms as being acceptable.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom