6 ohm speakers - amp recommendation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gforce08, Aug 15, 2012.

1. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Still thinking about multiroom setups...

In a bedroom and ensuite, I'll have a pair of 6 ohm ceiling speakers in the main room, and a 6+6 ohm stereo speaker in the ensuite.

I would like a basic amp (probably fed through an airport express - or maybe a sonos connect soon) to use with these. I'm thinking I need an amp which supports A and B zones, but I would also like to be able to play through both A+B at the same time.

Can anyone recommend an amp for this?

I currently have a Denon DM38, but it only has a single set of outputs. Is it an option to use a speaker switch along with this? Will I still be able to have A or B or A+B zones playing?

2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    It looks like Superfi have stopped selling it, but if you can find a Teac AG980, then this is exactly what you want.

You can get a speaker switch that does A or B or A+B, but that could end up drawing too much current from the amp. And you can't independently adjust the volume of the two zones.
    That's the down side to getting a switch. The positive, of course, is that it'd be cheaper than a while new amp.

A third option is to get a cheap amp (Tripath?) in addition to the amp you already have.
    Connect the tape out from the DM38 to the input of the tripath. Use the Denon's speaker output for the main room's speakers, and the tripath's speaker output for the bathroom speakers.
    Best of both here - full control of both pairs of speakers, and a tripaths are dirt cheap (and good enough for a bathroom speaker)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  3. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Ah - that's an interesting point!

I already have a class t amp, currently using it with computer speakers. Might play with that option actually to see how it works out. Another plus with that is it would save me extra spend. :thumbsup:

4. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just tried this with some standmount speakers and it does the job. I guess there is an interesting point to it in that I can switch on or off the ensuite and also independently control volume.

I have an mcr603 which has a and b speaker terminals too. Switching between them is a bit laborious as you have to use the remote and go into the menus, and it has options for offsetting volume on either speaker terminals, but they are supposed to be set once and left that way I think.

This option with the mini amp means i have a dial for each, although no remote.

5. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like a cool solution to your problem... I can't believe how cheap those amps are. Tempting to get one for 'stock' as sure it would come in handy one day.

6. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Absolutely. Mine was £40. Cheaper than the qed speaker switches I was looking at and quite a few benefits over it!

7. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    That's right. I thought that's what you were originally asking for?
    Amps like this don't usually actually have two pairs of amp channels. It's just two connectors to the same amp channels. So two sets of speakers will be drawing double the current per channel. You'd effectively be presenting 3 ohms to each amp channel, which could be a little low for it.
    I think this is the best you're going to get, without laying a chunk of cash down.

Unless, of course, you use the DM38 and the MCR603 as the two amps for this setup, and use the two remotes. Or grab a cheap universal remote to control both.

Or you could keep the volume on the tripath set to 100%, and then buy a waterproof inline volume control to go in the bathroom? Those controls aren't terribly cheap and it'd mean channelling down the wall, but that'd be a cool solution. (if you go for that I can talk you through automatically powering the tripath on and off for the princely sum of £1.69).

In fact, with your current tripath setup, you can still have it automatically powered on and off with the other amp. You'd still have to do the volume manually though. Does that sound useful or not?

8. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sounds interesting yes. I agree the option with the tripath sounds the best way to go. If I could get it to auto power off when I switched off the denon I'd be happy.

9. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Ok, give me a minute while I look for the thing I bought...

10. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Here you go: 2 PowerDown Standby saver plugs, Made By OneClick IntelliPlug DSK105 for e-On 5055116800001 | eBay

Ok it's not £1.69 - I thought that's what I remembered paying. Maybe there was a sale on.

Plug this into the wall, and your primary amp into its main socket.
    Plug your tripath into the secondary socket.
    Now the tripath will turn on and off whenever the main amp turns on and off (or with a few seconds delay).

I have some of these - got them on my hi-fi, home cinema, PC. They're great for anywhere where you have a central device and other 'minor devices'.

11. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Looks good. Will check it out. Thanks for your help mate, saved me a fortune in time and money!

12. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    No problem. Hope you enjoy your new setup!