6 Month old faulty unit. Toyrs R Us or MS

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by mrbumps, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbumps

mrbumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

My beloved 360 went belly up last night. Not a massive fault, no lights on but it simply will not read any more disks, Game or DVD's.

I purchased the unit from Toys am we, a quick conversation with them this morning leads me to believe they will not accept the unit back with them as it is older than 28 days. From the other treads I am led to believe that they are responsible for the unit but how do I get them to accept that?

So I called MS. They are quoting 15 working days to turn the unit around, plus I am likely to have to take time off work to have it collected and returned. With all the bad press about the quality of the cosmetics of the returned units I am not feeling inspired by this option.

Has anyone any ideas how I encourage Toys R us to just replace the unit save my hair and a lot of frustration?

Thanks

Steve

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,865
    Toys R Us are the one's you should deal with, they may not like having to give up one of their lovely brand new 360's for your knackered one but the Sales of Goods act is on your side.

3. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    It's worth trying toy's r us but they make it clear that their policy is 28days so it won't be a simple in out procedure. However if you get your words right you may be able to sort it out. That is the only reason I deal with game, as they have a no questions asked exchange policy for 12months. Woolworths try the same rubbish toy's r us try with their policy :rolleyes:

4. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    I'd go with Toys R US, according to the sales of goods act it is there responsibiltity not microsoft's. Your main problem is educating them about this fact as most of them will treat the company policy as gospel.

I had a major problem with argos when I went in and it took me an hour of not budging to finally get my replacement, but get a replacement I did.

The y will quote the agreements which are on their receipts etc but the important part is the 'this does not affect your statuatory rights' part which means they have to sort it.

try printing this link that states it is the trader and not the manufacturer who is libel.

goods act

5. mrbumps

mrbumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So this is a go in with all the evidence and print outs from the DTI and stand my ground then I guess. Better take some sandwiches with this lot I feel. :)

How do I get on with my HDD? As I have all my game saves and downloads on it I don't really want and definitely don't need to swap that out.

Steve

6. oddfeld

oddfeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Your contract is with Toys R Us, not Microsoft. Assuming you can demonstrate it was not fit for purpose when sold (i.e. it just broke through normal use before the reasonable life expectancy of the equipment - you haven't just taken a hammer to it or something), Toys R Us are obliged to repair or replace your goods within 'a reasonable amount of time'. So they don't have to give you a replacement, but if they choose to make it a warranty repair, the onus is on them to organise this with MS and bear all repair and postage costs etc. Of course, the spotty yoof Saturday staff you'll talk to won't actually know any of this and you'll no doubt have to educate them and a succession of 'managers' about the Sale of Goods Act. Go in armed with a copy of it and, as already pointed out, draw their attention to where it says on the receipt under all their restrictive policies, 'this does not affect your statutory rights', i.e. the law trumps their store policy.

7. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Normally they would just swap the console and you keep leads etc, however they may try and say they need everything back so just put leads etc in a seperate bag. The last thing you want is to travel there for them to say they need everything,

8. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Let us know how you get on mate as I got my 360 from Toys R Us too and am dreading having to go back with it should it ever break down (touched wood).

Be persistant about the HDD too as that's not faulty so they should swap it for the new one in the replacement.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Lee

9. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    start informing them of the CC details and private data you have stored on the HDD (if they even ask for it) that should put them off taking it. Try asking them about their (insert any ******** formatting procedure that sounds as technical as possible) that they are required to do when dealing with sensitive information. (mentioning identity theft worked when my laptop was repaired)

10. mrbumps

mrbumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nice, I like that approach. :)

11. salubrious_k

salubrious_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Another vote for Toys R Us... you'll get given a new receipt and your XBox will automatically be covered for another year from that date (and afterwards thanks to the Sale of Goods Act)

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Closing duplicate thread. If there's any issues not dealt with in the FAQ, feel free to discuss in the FAQ discussion thread. :smashin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.