1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 metre S-Video cable

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mediaman, Jan 13, 2002.

1. mediaman

mediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone and ordered a Sony VPL-HS1 with a free screen.

The thing is my DVD and Sky box will be at the other end of the room. I want to link my DVD to my VPL-HS1 via a S-Video cable.

I saw somewhere on this forum the longer the cable the poorer the picture is this true.

And if not do you know of a online supplier that sells 6 metre S-Video leads.

Any help on this would be great.

2. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not so much the lenght as the qualty of the cable.

Make sure you get good quality Interconnects I have tested both cheap and good quality and the cheap ones make the picture unwatchable with shimering reds etc.

www.ixos.co.uk are good cables, you can get the nearest suppliers from there web site.

Kev.

3. Zam

Zam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you thought about using the IFU-HS1 ?
    It comes with a 10m cable and you can switch between S-Video, Component and composite.

I use it for my DVD player(Denon 2800), VCR and PS2 with 1m Ixos cables from the DVD player & VCR to the switching box which is on my AV rack.

Neat and tidy with only 1 cable from the AV rack to the projector :)

I can tell no difference using the IFU-HS1 then using cables direct to the projector on my free Sony screen.

4. mediaman

mediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys i may go for one off those IFU-HS1.

5. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zan,

I am on the verge of getting a DENON DVD2800 and would be very interested in your comments on the picture quality through the HS1 and more interestingly with PAL Progressive and the picture quality I might expect to get with the player.

If you use this feature that is.

Thanks

Kev.

6. sbonell

sbonell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just bought a 13m S-video cable from Lektropacks (will make any length). I bought it from their "pro" range. I guess this is better cable and it has gold plugs.

I used this with a Sony DVD player and a borrowed Toshiba LCD projector and I had no complaints. Having said that, I didn't try a back to back comparison with a shorter cable!

I have used the same set up before with shorter S video and RGB cables and I didn't think the longer cable was causing any problems. If it was, they must have been in terms of colour balance or some other funny, since there was no noice, ghosting or other nasty effects - it was good to watch.

You can order from their web-site. www.lektropacks.co.uk (I think)

7. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    hello there I have a similar set up (I guess) but my Sony930 amp is about half the distance between my tv/dvd player & potential projection point, haven't invested in a projector just yet, but I thought I'd be able to use one of the s-video connections on the back or indeed front of the amp - would this be a useful alternative solution to your length problem:blush: ?

It may mean a bit of a saving in cable..although I wouldn't know if this isn't the best way of connecting up a projector either...interested in hearing how you get one with your new toy & how you set her up...enjoy!!

Berth