1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 Feet Under

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by booyaka1976, Nov 20, 2002.

1. booyaka1976

booyaka1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best thing since sliced bread?

I think so. Excellent program and very involving characters.
    Anyone else think it's the dogs??

:D

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Drop the "dogs" but keep the dangly bits.
    I thought series 1 was excellent, but as series 2 goes on I find the characters more and more annoying to the extent that Brenda and Claire make me want to punch them as soon as they come on screen. What's the deal with Brenda? She's a moose, but men seem to be falling over themselves to sleep with her. I personally wouldn't give her a second glance if I saw her out and about.
    The only reason I keep watching is for the one decent laugh I can (almost) guarantee every episode (David "seeing" Keith as Jesus when he said grace before dinner a few episodes back was hilarious) and because my lady seems to think it's probably just passing through a dry patch. Whatever happened to the whacky and often bloody deaths that opened each installment? They get tamer by the week. The divorcee that lost the top of her head to a traffic light was inspired, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that any more. It feels to me that it's just turning into another soap. The cutting edge quality that it had to begin with doesn't seem to be there these days.
    It's probably just me, although I'll happily admit it's still better than most of the garbage on TV even though I feel it's lost it's edge

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gotta disagree. Unlike the Sopranos, which seems very uninspired so far this season, I think this season of SFU is just as good as the 1st, if not better. I like the fact that Rico is getting more story time.

IMO, it's the best thing on TV by a pretty wide margin.

BTW, I'd do Brenda, but I'm Canadian, and we're partial to moose. :D

4. booyaka1976

booyaka1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah tend to agree with what you've said -Rambo John

Series 1 was excellent.
    Series 2 - Brenda is doing my nut in......surely it's about time she got caught out. She has got more annoying by the episode.
    David makes me laugh no end! The jesus one was very funny as you mention.:)
    I also like Mitze (sp?) from the Khroners. She makes me laugh!
    Hopefully the series will pick up to the heights of the first series. Any idea how many are left in this one on E4?

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love the show and generally speaking think the second series is as good, if not slightly better, than series one.

However, the Brenda character/storyline is threatening to ruin things. How could anyone be expected to condone, sympathise with or even tolerate her actions and hypocrisy?

I totally destest her, not necessarily due to what she does but because of how she actually dared make Nate feel guilty for actually telling her the truth whilst her own secrets are far worse. However, in some ways I hope nothing bad happens to her because then the punishment being seen to be done will seem too obvious for a supposedly 'higher brow' show like SFU.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Still think SFU is fantastic, but it's more low-key than Series One.
    Unlike The Sopranos which I still watch each new episode twice, just the once is enough for SFU now.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SFU is never going to be one of those happy-go-lucky shows. It's gritty, and sometimes painful... like real life.

Brenda's very self-destructive, which may not make you want to sympathize with her, but does make her a full-fledged person, and not some one-dimensional character. Personally, I love the dichotomy of having Brenda falling apart, and Billy straightening himself out, which is nearly opposite of the first season. Kinda reiterates the point of them being kindred spirits.

I'm tired of easy TV shows where good things happen to good people, and wicked are always punished, leaving a few minutes for a morality lesson at the end. That's just not the way it works.

Life is beautiful. :) Life is horrible. :(

8. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    One of the best shows on the tv at the moment.
    I can't find anything wrong with it at all.
    Excellent viewing.

9. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The very first episode and a few after that were quite surreal and 'off the wall', but as time has gone on it has degraded into a bit of a soap opera now.

I also don't like the way that every character is portrayed as majorly screwed up excpet for the gay couple. Isn't the writer gay and also did American Beauty ? Every character in that film was also screwed up except for the gay couple who lived next door.

Please don't accuse me of being homophbic, cos I aint.

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    The guy who wrote American Beauty only wrote the pilot. There seems to be a team that write a handful of episodes each, now.

I wouldn't say Keith and David ("the gay couple") have an ideal relationship, myself. They're as screwed up as the rest of them, they just seem to be able to work things out a little bit better.

11. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Every character seems to have their own problem which they have to deal with - like the brain tumor stroyline, being unfaithful before getting married, depression etc - and David's problem appeared to be the fact that he wouldn't stand up for himself being gay. That was why Keith finished with him. After David plucked up the courage and came out, he got back together with Keith - but there doesn't appear to be much going on with them now

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't expect David and Keith to get off any easier than the rest of the family. Especially since they've already mentioned that Keith's father was abusive. I'm expecting them to lean towards a very interesting case of spousal abuse between the two. If that's the case, it'll probably turn a lot of people off, but it'll make for very compelling TV.

Alan Ball (who did write American Beauty) has written one or two eps since the pilot, if I'm not mistaken. I also think that he's the force behind the show in the same way that Matt Groenig was the force behind the Simpsons, even though he didn't write the episodes. I'm guessing that he's the one who plans out all the storylines and the writers are the ones who do the grunt work. I'd check on the official site about this, but I'm afraid to stumble across spoilers. (like the ones I accidentally read on the CNN site about the Sopranos season :mad:)