6-Channel RCA into a Sony STR-DN1040

reelspike

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Looking for a bit of advice please :)

I have a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver and want to plug in an source that is outputting 6 channels via RCA (left, right, centre, sub, left surround, right surround).

On my old AVR (a Denon), it had an input section called EXT-IN which would work with this. However that AVR died a few years ago, and I’m sort of loathed to go out an purchase a new one just for the EXT-IN function as I’m overall happy with the Sony.

So, my question is - is there a way to connect these 6 RCA inputs into the Sony AVR? For example, is there a bit of kit that can be used to convert these RCA signals into, say, either a HDMI or Coax/Optical in whilst keeping the original outputs (left is left, right is right, surrounds are surrounds etc).

Thanks in advance :)
Steve

What is the Source which is Outputting the multi-channel analogue signal?

Multi-channel analogue Inputs and Outputs tend to either have been omitted from most AVR’s or only available on high end units.

Joe

Unfortunately it's a no with the Sony. The only multi channel inputs are digital only. There are very few, certainly with Denon, that have multi channel analogue in. My Denon AVR 2310 was the last model that I had multi channel (ExtIn) as you've already pointed out.

If the connected device has digital output then optical and coax will carry SD audio to a maximum of 5.1. If it has a HDMI connection that that audio is of HD quality. If it's SACD you require on a digital output then that's down to the Sony supporting DSD.

What is the Source which is Outputting the multi-channel analogue signal?

Multi-channel analogue Inputs and Outputs tend to either have been omitted from most AVR’s or only available on high end units.

Joe
Hi Joe
Thanks for your reply. It’s actually a Dolby CP500 cinema sound processor (for a 35mm cinema projector). Was hoping that I could hook it up to the Sony (as currently the film projector is just outputting stereo). I do have the Sony setup to to a sort of ‘virtual’ 5.1 effect, but thought I’d see if I could use the CP500 to get that proper sound output.

Thanks also to Gibbsy - I thought that would be the case, obviously it’s an older type of requirement. Thanks again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom