6 Channel Flac Pass Through

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by groen, Dec 30, 2016.

1. groen

groen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you think AV receivers will ever support 6 channel pass through? I know it is a very new format and not even LAV filters has an option for 6 channel pass through of Flac. Although both LAV filters and my Yamaha rxv-679 support flac indepedently. They don't support pass through in the manner in which ac3 or dd and dts supports pass through. The best I can do is down mix the 6 channel FLAC on the lav filters before it reaches the AVR and listen to it only on headphones on the AVR. I could down mix and then upmix but that just seems annoying. Such a shame as well because 6 Channel flac sounds amazing, if only i could pass it through.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,954
    Pass it through?

If wanting to listen to such audio via an AV receiver then use a playback device that has multichannel analogue audio output connected to a receiver with multichannel analogue inputs. Alternatively you can convert the FLAC audio to multichannel PCM prior to outputting the audio to an AV receiver via HDMI.

I think you are confusing the ability of a receiver to handle or decode multichannel FLAC files with passthrough? You'd not be passing anything through the AV receiver if using it to play or decode the audio via the speakers connected to the receiver.

If the FLAC files are accessed via a PC, play the files using the PC and cnvert the FLAC audio to PCM prior to output to the AV receiver.

Also note that many dedicated media players and some Blu-ray players can access and play multichannel FLAC files. You could use one of these to access the files and as the playback device connected to the AV receiver via HDMI.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. groen

groen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If i don't down mix the 6 channel FLAC it only sends two channels through to the AV receiver. I will try convert the 6 channel FLAC to pcm and see if the AV receiver accepts the 6 channels pcm. My understanding is that the only way to output 6 channels is through bit-streaming the DD and DTS content through.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,954
    Don't access the FLAC files using the AV receiver and use a device that can play multichannel FLAC files to play them. As I said "many dedicated media players and some Blu-ray players can access and play multichannel FLAC files. You could use one of these to access the files and as the playback device connected to the AV receiver via HDMI.". Configure the device to convert the audio to multichannel PCM prior to output. This would be lossless. All AV receivers can accept multichannel PCM via HDMI.

5. groen

groen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am trying to play a file from my PC over HDMI or optical. I don't think you understand. There is no "media player" that can play 6 channel flac. If you know one specify it. At this point, as far as i am aware there is no way to send 6 channel flac from a pc to av receiver.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,954
    Dune and Popcorn Hour Media players, some Panasonic and OPPO Blu-ray players all play 5.1 FLAC files. They'll even play 7.1 FLAC files if you have them.

You are not sending FLAC to the receiver via HDMI, you are letting the player do the decoding and sending the resulting multichannel PCM to the receiver via HDMI. Don't bitstream the FLAC files and let the player output them as multichannel PCM. You'd need to use HDMI to be able to do this because S/PDIF optical is limited to just 2 channels of PCM data.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  7. Violator

Violator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Mede8er players also do 6 channel flac, just to add to Dante01's post.