1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 upgrade using pro logic amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pat clancy, Jul 21, 2002.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    will i get 6.1 if i take rear preout from dolby digital amp and pipe these preouts to front inputs on prologic amp and wire up 3 speakers as normal on prolgic amp,then these become rear left,centre and right,correct me if wrong,cheers pat

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my understanding you have to have an amp with the EX/ES decoders to enjoy 6.1.

Bob

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, in a way it does work, and I have done the same thing to try out EX sound with my Dolby Digital TV.

There are a few catches to doing this:

1. You must be able to switch the amp to Dolby 3 Stereo, or the sound will pump.

Dolby Digital Surround EX involves a ±45° phase shift for the LS and RS channels when encoding them. This compensates for the sluggishness of the matrix decoder and increases separation from the CS channel. If a Dolby Pro Logic decoder is set to normal mode with the surround channel on, it will extract much of the common LS and RS content to the logical surround channel and suppress the LS and RS output when there is a lot of correlation between them.
    2. You get no time delay for the rear center.
    3. You will have to keep track of the volume setting on the Dolby Pro Logic amp to maintain proper output levels.
    4. Reportedly, Dolby Digital Surround EX uses the same matrix decoder as Dolby Stereo. In other words, the same type of decoder as Dolby Pro Logic. However, it seems it is not generally known if the matrix decoder in Dolby Digital Surround EX has been modified, so you are not necessarily getting a properly decoded mix.[/list=1]

Using Dolby Pro Logic to add EX to an existing 5.1 system does work, but I do not think is a good long term solution.

4. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cheers zacabeb,it seems the best is to get true dolby ex amp