1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 Surround Receiver - which one?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Preckle, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Preckle

Preckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a budget of £400 and want to upgrade my home cinema system. I have a number of AV reveivers in mind but would like some advice as to which one is best. They are:
    1. Sony STR-DB1080
    2.Yamaha RX-V630RDS
    3. Pioneer VSX-D811S

Or should I save up until I can afford something like a Denon AVR3802

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Depends really on the rest of the set up you have or wish to have. I had the older version off the yammy the ax620 which gave excellent sourround play back and was fairly competent musically. I imagine the same to be off the 630 only it has all the new formats like dts-es and prologic II.
    I now posses the Denon avr3802 which for the extra money was well worth it IMO. I had updated my speaker set up (fronts) to B&W S3 from mission m70 series speakers so I thought I would benefit from a Receiver upgrade as well. The difference between the two was that the power output was greater from 70w to 120w and it gave me the option of extra surround speakers either at the side and/or the rear. Musically the yammy can't compete with the denon as you would expect. Surround sound on movie playback is exceptional with the extra speakers the dennon caters for.The exceptional build quality of the denon weighs in it's favour as well.
    Buy the amp that best suits your current needs that complements the bits of kit you have. There would be no benefit in buying an exceptional piece of kit if the rest of the parts are naff unless you are going to upgrade these parts at a later date..

4. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you considered the Marantz Amps. I have the 5300, which to my ears sounds superb with both Movies and Hifi, although saying that I can only compare to an old Sherwood model.

Cheers
    Bob