1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 Surround or Dolby Digital on Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DazJWood, Jul 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the preference?

On the Denon 3802, as you will be aware if you are an owner of one, has not got Dolby Digital EX because of the licensing laws between Lucas and Dolby at the time. It has instead got its own 6.1 surround which in essence performs the same process and gives the same similar sound.

My question pertains to Dolby Digital 5.1 sources. Do many of you always leave this set to 6.1 so as it recreates a "sort of" Dolby Digital EX sound on DD 5.1 sources? Or do many of you leave it just on non-matrixed (giving Dolby Digital on the display) with the surround backs sending out the same signals as the surrounds?

Of course the other option is to turn off the surround backs but I would guess most people would leave these on as it would be a little pointless in not using them to send some sound through.

Cheers

Daz

2. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i am not 100% sure about your question,but was under the impression it had got dolby digital EX(from dolby labs) just not THX surround EX(from lucas).

3. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby Digital EX was conceived jointly by Lucas and Dolby and the original license for this surround sound meant that only THX certified equipment were allowed the use of the logo and the sound.

When the Denon 3802 started production it was bound by this licensing, hence the Denon 3802 does not have the official Dolby Digital EX surround sound. It has its own interpretation of this which Denon calls 6.1 Surround and basically does the same job.

The added advantage with Denon's 6.1 surround is that you can have this playing back on Dolby Digital 5.1 sources with the surround backs emitting a matrixed sound derived from the surround channels.

The other alternatives if you are using surround back speakers is to have them turned off or to have them emitting the same sound as the surround.

My question was to determine which setting most people used when listening to Dolby Digital sources??

Come on guys enough people have viewed this thread and only one person replied!!

What are your thoughts??

Daz

4. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Daz,

Don't know if this is any help but I prefer the sound of my Onkyo 989 with THX Surround EX switched on when playing 5.1 sources.

It provides some sort of matrixed output to the rears and surrounds. I remember reading a Lucas Film statement that the majority of users leave Surround EX on permenantly, which they say is a good thing as many EX encoded DVDs are not flagged as such.

Onkyo say in the manual that the matrixed sound may not be accurate on some recordings but I have found that I prefer it on all of the sources that I have tried so far.

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    on my denon 2802 i leave it switched to matrix on on on all my films

6. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks for the response

Usually leave mine set on anyhow.

Just another question -

If Dolby Digital EX (or Denon's 6.1 Surround) can be used on just Dolby Digital 5.1 sources and not restricted to the source actually being Dolby Digital EX, then whatis the difference in the sound output?

The surround back speaker(s) are matrixed on Dolby Digital EX and not descrete like DTS-ES can be. Doesn't this mean that the matrixed sound that outputs on a DD 5.1 source (using 6.1 Surround or DD EX setting on amp) isn't going to be that much different from an actual Dolby Digital EX source?

Daz

7. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting one, Daz

I noticed on the Ultimate DVD setup disc that a signal that is "in phase" makes the sound come from the two speakers individually while an "out of phase" signal emits the sound from a central point between the two speakers. This got me thinking as to how the 6.1 surround processing works. In a traditional 5.1 speaker setup,is an out of phase signal sent to the two surround channels in order to get the sound to emit from directly behind you? If so then does 6.1 surround processing (matrix on)take this out of phase signal and send it to the surround back channel, with nothing being sent to the side channels? With non-matrix then this signal will be sent to both the surround back channel and the sides, creating a louder sound from behind you?
    Switching off the surround back altogether then would be akin to those who say there is no need for a front centre speaker,just rely on the imaging from the fronts?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this,is my thinking correct? Has anyone tested this with specific scenes?
    I tend to leave mine on 6.1 (matrix on)