1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zog, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anybody like me find this quite often detected by the amp without there being any clue of its presence on the box?

might be wrong forum, but DTS NEO. Does this work quite happily with Pro-Log encoded sources?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,233
    What amp have you got?

On my Denon 3802 when it is a standard Dolby Digital disc the display says 6.1 surround whether it is 6.1 or not.

I don't think that most of the DVDs are encoded with 6.1 when the box says it is just 5.1, in my case the amp display says 6.1 whatever. I am not even sure if it can say just 5.1.

DTS NEO is similar to Pro-logic 2.

Greg

3. Tal

Tal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason why your amp says 6.1 is because in your set up menu you have yuor flag for Dolby Digital turned on or off, I can't remember which way it is now, but that is the reason why it always shows 6.1 on all your movies. If you swith the flag to the opposite of how it is set now will output all your films in 5.1, but will not pick up any films that do actually have a 6.1 soundtrack.

It is to do with the amps not being able to pick up the flags on the discs for the soundtracks!

Tal.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Moved from DVDTalk... but might be better in DVDHardware?

5. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    so Tal has answered the question.

Cheers folks.....

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the flag detection switched off on mine, but even with it switched on I am pretty sure it wouldn't make any difference to the amp displaying/playing 6.1 all the time. The reason for this is, he has most probably got a single/pair of surround back speakers selected, therefore 6.1 will be displayed on D/D 5.1 soundtracks. All he has to do is press the 6.1/7.1 button on the remote and this will switch off the surround backs and 5.1 will then be displayed.