1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 sound system problem with avr-3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by johnnykhan, Apr 22, 2005.

1. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I cant make the 6 the speaker work. the rear center speaker wont work, i tried following the manual still cant make it to work. I wonder if denon avr-3805 receiver support 6.1, cause the unit have button that says 5ch/7ch, nothing about 6ch. let me know if any of you guys have this receiver with 6.1 sound system.

2. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This IS all covered in the manual even how to set it up for 6.1 instead of 7.1.
    How do I know because I have done mine using the book. I know it's not the best manual in the world but it is all there honest. You do know you wont get any output on DVD from the centre back speaker unless it is encoded for 6.1 DTS EX or DD EX.

I presume you have connected the amp to the screen so as to use the OSD it is near on impossible to set up the amp with out doing this.

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you run the manual test tone? Is your 6th channel in the Surrond Back Left terminal? Have you told the amp you are using one surrond back speaker? Have you run the auto setup?

4. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do i connect the center back speaker? in Surround B left (L) or in SURR.BACK/MULTI ZONE left (L)?
    Then run the auto setup with microphone? I tried that one time but it says ERROR Surround R is missing

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Sound like it's set up for two surround back speakers, there will be an option in the speaker set up menu to choose one or two surround back speakers, try changing that and running the auto set up again.

6. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i get sound from the rear centre on all dvds even with 5-1 soundtracks as soon as i put a 5-1 encoded dolby digital disc on the output shows 6-1

7. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also its goes into the left surround back if only using one rear surround

8. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    overall i think the Denon AVR-3805 it's a little bit too high tech for average joes like you and me. I know this unit is fully loaded with all the extra up to date feature, and that makes it a little bit too complicated to use this unit. and they should make this unit plain and simple, like plug and play. I have a little bit exprience with A/V equipment, but i also find this unit a little hard to use.

9. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you mean the SURR.BACK/MULTI ZONE left (L), the last input?

10. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 9th input from left side or the 7th input

11. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much miniholic for trying to help me. Can you please tell me exactly how to do it? like start from main menu to how to change the setting

12. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same thing happening to me. all 7 of my speakers (the rear center) alway working even with 5.1 dvd

13. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I have a 3802, not a 3805 (for now :devil: ), but in theory it should be the same. I've just had a quick look at the manual on the Denon website, you want page 31, section 2.

Go into the setup menu, and select option 2 speaker setup, then from the next menu choose option 1 speaker config. This will bring up a graphic of a room layout (Page 32 paragraph 3). On the right you will see the options for setting the speaker sizes and choosing the sub, moving down will take you onto a second screen detailing the surround speakers. You need to choose small for Sp. Back, and then select one speaker.

Now run the auto setup again and cross fingers.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT: The surround back speaker goes in the far right terminals, the 7th set are for a second set of normal surrounds so that you can have one set for movies and another for music - like we don't have neough speakers already. :rolleyes:

14. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, miniholic that for replying. i will go home and try that settings. i am at work now as soon as i get off i will try that. hope it works out good. right now i have 7.1 set up, the two sound back speaker i have is my old KLH speaker, but i want to keep all the speaker same. My entire system is Pioneer S-LF3, i dont want the rear speaker to be something else.So i rather stick all same brand speaker, eventhough i will have to downgrade from 7.1 to 6.1.

by the way my sound system ROCKS with my 50 inch pioneer plasma :clap:

15. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will return this receiver as soon as my Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver arrive. i tried every single possible way to make all the speaker work. but it did not. Turned out be the Surround Back does not work. All other input works fine. Tried going to the speaker setup than auto setup with microphone, tried manually. tried all possible way. could not make the sorround back speaker work. whats the point of having this receiver if the sound back does not work, which is important for 6.1 sorround sound dvd. So i am gonna return this unit.

I had this speaker for about 10 days, everyday i tried to make sorround back speaker work. Hopefully the harman kardon is lot more easier to work with. Harman Kardon receiver cost me 1500 dollar.

Thanks for trying to help me out.

16. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hang on check is your 6th channel in the surrond back left terminal not surround left B!
    Then run the auto setup. Once done on the front panel you should see surrond back as a button. Keep pressing this to turn the surrond back on.

17. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Also make sure that the AFDM (Auto Flag Detect Mode) is switched OFF. This can be done in the Surround Parameters setup. You should then be able to switch on the Surround Backs even for standard 5.1 soundtracks.

18. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what I said the surround backs only work by default with 6.1 EX sources. In all fairness I didn't know you could force it to work this way but as I never expected/wanted this to be the case it's a bonus that it will do this. So as I often say "You learn something new everyday" Thanks for the info Jase. To the OP don't give up, if a dummy like me can make it work it can be done by anybody.

19. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andy lee what you are saying is incorrect the 3805 if fed with a 5-1 dolby digital source the output will display 6-1 dolby ex it does not have to be a 6-1 source

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    In a perfect world you'd leave the AFDM on and when the Amp detected the EX or ES flag encoded on the DVD it would switch the Surround Back speakers on. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world and a lot of EX discs don't have the proper flag encoded on them. You're better to leave the AFDM off and switch manually. You can get great results applying EX/ES decoding to standard 5.1 tracks but not in all cases, sometimes the Surround Left and Right info will just collapse into the Surround Back channels. It will vary from disc to disc so best to experiment. :thumbsup:

You may find the best playback option for a 6 or 7 speaker setup is to use PLIIx processing. :smashin:

21. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry the 3805 will output 6.1 from a 5.1 source ONLY if you set it to do so by default it does not do so or at least mine does not as the post above this one states sometimes this works well sometimes it does not

22. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i agree with you andy, must say have tried it on dpl11x as jase suggests but found it not to my likeing, each to there own, going onto another subject when i play dvd-audio discs via 6 phono leads as my dvd player is not a denon normally the output display shows left, right, centre, rear left, rear right, and sub, yet when i played the keane dualdisc via the same 6 phono leads it also showed up rear centre on the output display needless to say there was no sound coming out off it ? am confused even more now

23. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's the last input, Surr Back/multizone Left.

I think this receiver is defective, because in Auto set up the sorround back speaker never makes the sound, even after changing the settings in Speaker set up to sorround back. I tried every single possible way, even called Denon, they told me something wrong with the receiver.

If i press the surround back button the sorround speaker from B works, not A. A is the one we need for 6.1 and 7.1.

See, this receiver is the best out there, highest rated. Should be super easy, just plug the mic and it sets it by itself. It should not be this hard at all.

24. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    johnnykhan

Doublecheck in the speaker configuration that you have selected Surround Sp A - Small or Large, Surround Sp B - NONE, Sp.Back Small or Large and either one or two speakers depending on how many you have connected.

Make sure your Left and Right Surround speakers are connected to the Surround A terminals and your Surround Back speakers are connected to the Surround Back/Multizone terminals. If you have one Surround Back speaker connect it to the Left Surround Back/Multizone terminal.

You should have nothing connected to the Surround B Left and Right terminals.

25. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have anything connected to sorround speaker b

26. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You shuld have the following. Front L/R in the front left right terminals. Centre in the centre terminals. Surround L/R in the Surround A L/R terminals. And your single sourround back speaker connected to Surround Back/Multi Zone Left terminals.

Run the autosetup again. Then on the front panel of the amp press the surround back button to change how the surround back speaker is used.

27. johnnykhan

johnnykhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried all this settings more than 100 times. I read the manual more than 20 times. I liked this receiver and wanted to keep it. I tried what ever people told me to do. None of it ever worked. Called Denon, they told me that SB output must be bad. So today I returned it to the store, the dont have any more AVR-3805, and I have to have a receiver to watch movies so I ended up buying a Harman Kardon receiver. Thanks for your help, it just that my s h i t was f u c ked up before I got it.