1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 Setup - query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dazza, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Dazza

Dazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've just upgraded to 6.1, i have a Sony STR-DB790 with Elac Cinema 2 speakers with an XL front center.

I was wondering, do you have the SB (Surrond Back) set to "Auto" for DD Ex and dts ES soundtracks only or do you have the SB set to "Matrix" so that it activates the rear center regardless of the soundtrack :confused:

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try them both and see what you think, I tend to leave it on matrix as it doesn't seem to do any harm to the 5.1 yet it does let 6.1 work properly when it's available. Couldn't say I noticed a dramatic improvement when it was running in matrix to when it was turned off though. (You could tell it was there)

3. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have mine mostly set to matrix. This means you get the use out of the thing. Why buy it not to use it. :lesson: Only time I its off is when playing CD's as I always like to play them in stereo. Other choice is to scroll through the options when playing a disc but only when on your own as the wife moans about the clicking. :laugh:

4. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I leave mine on all the time. I don't find a problem with 5.1 recordings and have found that by having it permanently on, discs that have Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks on them are utilised.

I think this is a flagging problem for DD EX to ensure backwords compatibility meaning that my AUTO setting doesn't recognise the DD EX track. Discs I have seen this are Star Wars I (AOTC) and Terminator 2 (Ultimate Edition).

5. Dazza

Dazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Cheers for the posts guys :smashin:

I was worried about it affecting 5.1 but no worries, matrix it is :cool: