1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 or 7.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by philthyanimal, Jan 12, 2004.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AX3 and i am adding extra speakers to my 5.1 setup.
    Which should i do, 2 extra rears or 1 rear centre?

My system doesn't have PLIIx so are 7 speakers going to work? will sound come from both the rear back speakers?

2. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should definetly use 7.1 It gives a much more convincing and better placed soundfield to the rear, if set up properly. The idea is that with only one spkr at the rear, the mind plays tricks and at times effects sound as though they are coming from the front and not the back. So 2 spkrs are used to place a stereo image behind you. Doesn`t matter if you have PLIIx or not. This is only a form of enhancement for Pro Logic II.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The surround back speakers in a 7.1 setup are mono - they both output exactly the same signal. It just gives a wider, less directional sound with 2 speakers. Although my receiver can drive 7.1, I only have 6.1 due to lack of space and think the results are still very good.
    If you have the space and money then go for 7.1, but if not then 6.1 still works very well.

Mark.

4. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how far behind should the rear back speakers be, also how close together. Do they have to be the same height as the rear surrounds?

Any help most welcome

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I think it is recommended that the rears should be at least a metre behind you and close together, ie not on either side of the rear wall.

Mark.