6.1 or 7.1?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Epoman, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I'm just about to replumb my gear over the Xmas break as the plasma above a fireplace is too high :(

I have mainly Epos speakers but I want to use the opportunity to go from 5.1 to 6.1 or 7.1 with a pair of Mission 77DS.

Any views on whether the the 7th DS is worthwhile - I'm not sure I've seen any movies utilising 7.1 :confused:

2. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    from what I gather from these forums, 6.1 and 7.1 are not dedicated formats unless you get a dts 6.1 discrete movie such as the haunting.

They work by extracting matrix encoded data from the rear channels of the 5.1 signal to prvide you with a rear centre speaker.

6.1 puts one speaker directly behind you and 7.1 puts 2 speakers in mono either side behind you.

7.1 is supposedly better, I wonder how much of this comes from the physiological fact that your ears are no good at hearing sounds from directly behind you.

In my opinion, if going for 6.1 anyway, you may as well go one step further. Its only processing power that extracts the extra channels from dts es and DD EX discs, which many of them are already.

please bear in mnd that what I have just reeled off comes from my listneing to others on here and so I am open to correction.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In my room I concluded that 6.1 is better than 5.1 & that the difference between 6.1 & 7.1 was not large enough to justify upsetting the aesthetics of the room - 1 Egg as a centre back looks fine - two looked silly. I read somewhere that in a single centre back arrangement, some sound effects get misplaced by your brain & it sounds like the sound is coming from in front of you. I've never had this happen to me (or at least I don't think so!)

4. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I've heard both views on this forum. 7.1 is a little trickier for me as I will need to work out where to put both speakers - I only want to do this if its a worthwhile improvement over 6.1

Also, I have Mission 77DS dipoles for the rears. Are these OK for 7.1?

5. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do go for 6.1, don't suppose you fancy selling the other 77DS to me so I can do the same ;-)

SB

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ex centre rear is Mono anyway so it does not make a huge difference, 2 centre rears may give a slightly more diffused (less localised) rear image which may sound a little better but this will depend on location If one of the rears is closer than the other you may find the image getting pulled to one side (speaker levels can resolve this), I run 2 centre rears in series from a single output of my 6.1 amp an quite happy with the results and prefer it over 5.1 but it is a nominal improvement.

7. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think I'll give 7.1 a try - they will be placed directly behind the listening position at ear level

I'll give you a shout if I need to sell one of the speakers spamboy

8. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    i think as the sound the film is recorded in is 6.1 then you shoud have a 6.1 set up ie one extra speaker behind the lisening position.

saying that not everybodies room layout allows then to put one speaker.

in my set up i have a window behind me on the back wall so one speaker is not possible. i have two speakers for the ex channel and my amp alows me to output the ex cannel via one or two speakers