6.1 or 5.1?Again.....

Is 6.1 better than 6.1?

• No,old school 5.1 is still the best

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 6.1 is definately better and worth the extra few quid

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Depends on your set up

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • none of that multi speaker malarkey for me sonny boy,lovely stereo,thats the ticket!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Synchronicity

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok,sorry to bring this up again,but Ive done searches and had a read through numerous posts but Im still undecided.Atm Im using a 5.1 set up with B&Ws(with normal B&W bookshelfs as rears and no sub) and am considering getting an aditional B&w centre to use as a centre rear.

I have a Marantz amp which will not support 7.1 so I have no interest in that;I just want to know if its worth moving from 5.1 to 6.1 .

Once again,appologies for bringing this up again but I would just like to know how many of you rate 6.1 above 5.1 and is the difference that significant?

Cheers
J.B

A speaker round the back absolutely does it for me. Been operating with one since before there was DD EX or DTS-ES media about and it just makes the rear surround sound more complete. An upgrade that’s definitely worth it. YMMV.

i think it depends, some of course cant manage to fit 6.1. It also can tend to be more than a couple of quid..... as your system gets higher end, that extra channel can be very expensive

ad

I've just gone 6/7.1 from many years of 5.1. Previously I wondered whether it was really worth all the fuss, but I must admit that I'm impressed by it. Add to the fact that these days 6.1 is virtually standard on all but the lowest amps and doesn't cost a packet to implement any longer and I think there's no reason not to go for it (oh, maybe one - if you're sat right up against the back wall).

I think you'd better get your poll title changed!
Anyway, I think it is well worth it if you have the room for an extra speaker.

Originally posted by Malabbey
I think you'd better get your poll title changed!
Anyway, I think it is well worth it if you have the room for an extra speaker.

Well done you spotted the deliberate mistake:smashin:

It does seem like 6.1 is favoured atm!
Positioning shouldnt be a problem,I would be able to put it about a foot behind me at ear level(when sitting)so hopefully that should be ok:confused:

I think Im gonna have to keep an eye on the classifieds:devil:

Originally posted by Mr Jason B
...Positioning shouldnt be a problem,I would be able to put it about a foot behind me at ear level(when sitting)so hopefully that should be ok:confused:

You'll be better off if you can mount the speaker behind you at 2-3' above ear level. That's what Dolby recommends for surrounds.

hmmm,that may be a little awkward:( actually Ive been thinking me rears are to low as well,Ive got them on stands and I think a lot of the sound is firing into the back of the sofa:nono:

Maybe time to get a few paving slabs in:D
*smiles,realising that sometimes being single does have benefits*

Originally posted by Mr Jason B
hmmm,that may be a little awkward:( actually Ive been thinking me rears are to low as well,Ive got them on stands and I think a lot of the sound is firing into the back of the sofa:nono:

Maybe time to get a few paving slabs in:D
*smiles,realising that sometimes being single does have benefits*

You might try angling the speakers a bit to bounce off a surface rather than getting absorbed by the sofa.

The Dolby Guide to HT Sound might help with some ideas.

I want 6.1 but was told I would not notice much difference as my bedroom is only 12ft by 10ft.

my room is the same size as Kopite's and I didn't notice any difference with 6.1 Setup with Avia etc. etc.

I tried 6.1 and found that I simply do not have enough void space behind me for it to work properly (that is give me a rear soundstage instead of an extra point throwing noise from behind my head). I instead raided the company parts bin for some THX dipoles and stuck with 5.2. If you are on your rear wall, the results can be a bit erratic.

I have 7.1 and it can sound great or it can sound average.
I have heard some EX/ES soundtracks and found no particular sparkle from the source that you come to hope for.
However, listen to Attack of the Clones and I realise why I spent the extra cash. DTS ES Discrete should be the best extended surround format currently available, but listen to the wrong film and it can be dissappointing. I just aquired The Haunting R1 with DTS ES Discrete and that is another one of those films that makes 100% use of your system and make you think wow!

Because of the inconsistency I have found with the current available extended surround formats, I considered going back to 5.1 and using the extra channels to bi-amp my fronts. However, I think those extra special sounding films make it worth the extra speakers.

By the way, whats 5.2?;)

Originally posted by Stellavision
By the way, whats 5.2?;)

An inability to "get by" on just one sub :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom