6.1 inputs

hi john,sacd and dvd a are 5.1,where do you get the centre back connection,are there some dvd players with 6.1 built in

I think they just put 6.1 inputs rather than just 5.1 becuase it don't cost hardly no more and if there was a format to come out later with 6.1 then peiople can still use it.

Some Denon amps have 7.1 input (some acutally 5.1 and 7.1) - future-proofing I guess ...

Actually I can see the point of full 7.1 inputs. Especially if you're using dipole surrounds but direct rears. SACD / DVD-A may sound better with the direct rears so connecting to left / centre / right / (leave surround left right empty) / rear left / rear right may give you best sound.

Vikki

Good point though I guess that wasn't the idea behind it.

6.1 will probably be found on amps with 6 internal amplifier stages while 7.1 is rather common with 7-channel amps or 5-channel amps with 7.1 output like the Denon AVC-10SE so that you can control the volume of all 7 while using an external 2-channel power amp for the surround backs.

Of course Denon did a clever thing and allows re-routing of the power amps so that the 2-channel amp mentioned above could be used for the fronts.

Well yes ... probably wasn't why they produced 7.1 inputs ... but it works so why knock it!!

Another reason for having it (generally) is so you can use an external processor with the internal power amps.

Vikki

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom