1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 Egg Scenario

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PaulBoy, Feb 20, 2002.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Has anyone added another Kef "Egg" to their 5.1 ?
    I was considering this (well I've had the Kefs for at least
    3 weeks now!)
    I haven't really the room to go to 7.1 but would welcome the views of anyone who has uprgaded to 6.1 (or 7.1) especially if using the 3801 (or 3802)
    TIA - Paul ;)

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was the first thing i did when i purchased my 3801, i do have the room for the extra pair of surround back speakers, and boy does it make a difference. I listen in 6.1 all the time with dvds that have 5.1 soundtrack, even though it is a matrix mix for the S/B speakers it really gives depth to the rear soundstage.
    There are soundtracks out there that are 6.1 discrete with hopefully more on the way.
    I would recommend two speakers for the duty of S/B not one, with two the sound is less localised, well recommended if you have the room.;)

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks Bob007 ...
    No I dont have the room which is why I now have the "Egg" setup ... I tried the 6&7.1 capability of the 3801 soon after purchasing it but was in the doghouse for ages for turning our lounge into "a f*cking hifi shop" ... I think I can get away with it with the more discreet eggs (mind you I havent broached the subject yet!)
    Paul ;)

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sad as it might be to update my own thread I thought there may be someone who might be interested in my experience of adding another "egg" to give me a single rear surround between the existing pair of rears (5.1 to 6.1 if you follow me)

I must say it sounds very good and I was amazed at how many of my DVDS have ES or EX (matrix mainly but some have discrete) soundtracks

The Others (which I've just got on R3) was especially good adding great "behind you" moments on a number of occasions
    Gladiator (not surprisingly) was another excellent example - the sword throwing scene was superb with the sword coming from the middle rear to the centre speaker straight over your head!

Even the missus was impressed (mind you it gave her another excuse to ogle Mr Crowe!)
    Paul ;)

5. gul

gul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulboy

No you're not alone. I have a room with buried wires to 9 speaker points (not that I expect to use them all at once). I haven't decided what hardware to get yet but I have given some thought to enhancements over the standard 5.1 offering.

I was wondering how to get a good price on a 5.1 subsat offering like Mission's or Kef's and then get a similar deal on 1 or 2 additional satellites. Did you manage this with the Eggs ?

Marcus

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Marcus ...
    I hope I got a good deal although I am a sucker for 0% credit
    I bought my KHT2005 (5 eggs & sub) from my local AudioT in their January Sale & got 12.5% off the usual £799 & (0% credit for 9 months) ...
    A further pair of eggs would be £199 and there was reluctance on Kefs part to sell me 1 egg (2 would be no problem - its a packaging issue evidently!) ...
    AudioT knocked 10% off the extra egg ...
    I also bought a pair of stands with the KHT2005 but they have not been supplied by Kef yet (bit of a pain but AudioT loaned me their dem room pair as they have shelves to put the eggs on) ...
    Hope this helps ...
    Paul ;)

7. gul

gul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that does help. Thanks for going into the detail. That wouldn't be Audio T in Epsom would it? Couple years ago I bought a Yamaha CinemaStation AV1 from them. Prologic only and rather basic sats. Currently using it in 2-channel mode only through pair of old Mission 700s. Serviceable but crying out to be upgraded.

BTW can you wall mount an Egg and have it turn say 65 degrees toface the listener ?

8. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Marcus - It was their Camberley branch actually ...
    I intend to wall mount three off my eggs (rears) & the base is "hung" on two screws - I am pretty sure you would be able to angle them as you require but obviously cant test that fully for you yet (might get round to it this weekend) - The base to egg mount is like a ball joint if that's any help ?
    Paul ;)