1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 bipolar setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sk4nky, Sep 8, 2004.

1. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    now, wharfedale recommend that their DFS18 bipolars are to be mounted on the back wall facing towards the front when its a 5.1 setup.

anyone had any experiences using bipolars in a 6.1 setup? as in using bipolars for all 3 surround channels?

thanks.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    That's what I'm currently using, but with 4 Eltax HT2s. They work very well - I originaly had 4 Acoustic Energy Aegis 1s as the side and rear surrounds, but found the rears were causing imaging problems. I tried angling them down, but although the problem was reduced, it was still there. The Bipoles cured the imaging problem totaly, but still give a very clear and precise rear sound field.

I then swapped the side A1s for another pair of HT2s because there's very little sound difference between them - Bi-poles are just a pair of monopoles in a single box as far as I can tell, so the point source which is technicaly the 'accurate' way to reproduce the audio is still there.

You still get accurate imaging despite the wider dispersion field - you can easily tell which speaker sounds are coming from, and in my room, there's very little difference between the bi-poles and mono-poles.

HTH

Gary.

3. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so you have your eltax SL/SR on the wall to your side (or slightly infront of your listening position) and both SB on the back wall?

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Just about the same sort of setup as me. 2* Biploars inf ront of the listening position and 2 in the rear. :smashin:

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Yes - two either side of the listening position about 10ft apart, and two on the rear wall 4ft apart (the rear wall is approx 5ft behind the listening position).

Gary.