1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 B&W 600 setup - a good idea?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DeeeKaaY, Nov 13, 2003.

1. DeeeKaaY

DeeeKaaY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently considering an upgrade of my home cinema/hifi. From my current mordaunt short/eltax setup (902signature, 905 centre and eltax HT2rear) to all around B&W 600 series system.

I currently have a pair of B&W 601s3 in another room which I enjoy a lot and this has made me think that moving these to my main room might be a good idea. I have been considering partnering them with a pair of 603s3's and an LCR600 centre (using my current 601s3's as rears + 1 more for centre rear?).

This leads me to a few questions which you knowledgeable folks might be able to help me with....

- Is this a good idea in general?
    - Will this be much of an improvement over my current system (rears excluded, i do not like them at all)
    - Where can I get a good price for the 603s3's and centre speaker?
    - Can I buy a single 601s3 for my centre rear? and if so, where from?

Also,
    I am interested in using the fronts for stereo and running them through a separate stereo amp but I have found it difficult to find much information on doing this, any good tips on this topic? I currently have a Yamaha RVX630RDS and a Rotel RA02 amplifier, would this be ok for the dual amp setup? I guess I would have to balance both volume controls when watching movies or using 6 channel stereo? FYI, I listen to music a lot more than I watch movies.

Anyways, all tips appreciated. Your knowledge will hopefully increase my listening pleasure !
    Thanks in advance
    |>|< :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes. IMO the B&W 600's are good speakers and as a 5.1 setup work well. Keeping to a single make and range should improve the sound stage.

Sorry, don't know your speakers.

Generally speaking you wont find B&W's discounted or even available online. You should be able to haggle with a retailer and get a bit of a discount though.

I'm not sure. I think somebody else on here a while ago was after a single 600 or 601 but could not find them. I know the floor standers are sold a single speakers and possibly the 602's.
    Why not buy a pair and sell the other 1 on the classified adds forum?

If the Yamaha has pre-outs then yes you will be able to use the 2 amps. You will have to setup the AV with the RA02 volume setto a certain level as it does not have a processor mode.
    If you listen to music more than watch movies then IMO this is a must for your system.

Mark.

3. DeeeKaaY

DeeeKaaY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Mark, I will definitely consider buying and extra pair of 601s and selling one in the classifieds. My amp does have pre-outs so I am all set for stereo music :)

thanks again
    |>|<

4. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if u fancy selling your 905 let me know

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    How big is your room DeeeKaaY? The bass from those 603's can get a bit overwhelming if you dont have the space for them. As nice as they look you might want to consider some standmounts, such as some 602's and a reasonable sub. That would give you much more control over the bass and probably a better overall performance.

You can get discounts on B&W, you just have to haggle!

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don’t worry about the 603's bass unless you have a very small room, you will have to use the rear bungs though, and a sub wont be that important.

You can try and find a second hand centre speaker for centre rear, the series 2, CC6, CC3 or similar, try e-bay.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would get another pair of 601's and a decent sub instead of the 603s. The LCR600 is a good choice - worth the extra over the LCR60, IMHO.

MuFu.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yeh, the LCR600 is a better centre, but it's huge! You need scaffolding to hold it :laugh:
    I went for the LCR60 as I had no way of mounting the LCR600. I live in a stone built building that trying to drill into external walls bends drill bits. The walls are about 2 foot thick and my centre is on a window sill just above the plasma, and there is no way an LCR600 would have gone on there.
    If you have plaster board walls there is no way you could fix one of them to the wall.
    You could always go for the LCR60/600 as the front 3. These speakers are designed for front L/R duties as well as centre and would work very well as an even sound stage for movies as all 3 speakers would be identicle, as is the ideal for surround sound.

Mark.

9. DeeeKaaY

DeeeKaaY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. These speakers will be slightly too big for my room now i think, but i am planning ahead for my move to a bigger house in new zealand in 12- 18 months. hifi is not so cheap there so i need to get it all here. I will definitely block the ports.

clancol, I am interested in selling my 905 but not until i get a new centre, so i might PM you in the next week or two to see if you are still interested. It's in good condition, no marks, no damage, original box etc.

MuFu, i saw your pick of the LCR600 on your 24" tv :D - funny. Thats what mine will look like i guess(for now).

cheers
    |>|<