1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 and addition power amp for denon

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Prism666, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have just set up my new DHT-M330DV and I'm really happy with the sound quality even though its only 22W per channel as it fills the room plenty.

As with the 500 it is possible to add an additional power amp for the one or two rear channels with speakers. I'm not quite sure how this would work so I was wondering if someone could explain

I'm assuming that any power amp would do the job but would it be important to match it up to the Denon - I would have thought so. Also, would it have its own volume control for the rear two speakers. How would it be possible to keep the sound levels in sync as such, so that when you turn up the volume on the denon, the power amp would also turn up the volume on the additional rears

I'm also not sure if Denon even sell the speakers stand alone and so the sound could be quite mismatched

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was in touch with Denon about upgrading my Denon 500 to a 7.1 system. They told me a normal stereo amp with two speakers would do the job. As luck would have it, I had an old stereo amp and two Wharfedale speakers in the loft, connected the amp via phono leads to the Denon and away it goes, dead easy.

Denon said just on set up to listen to the speaker outputs to match up the sound levels.

You can buy separate Denon speakers for about £50 each.

3. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers wicket

Didn't know it would be that simple. I just plugged in my old sony dav500 ,set it to stereo, used the test tone on the denon to help set the sounds levels on the sony and then stuffed it behind the couch. I didn't realise that a change in the volume on the denon would also change the pre amp outputs level and so there shouldn't be any need to touch the sony.

It works a treat. Blade II in 6.1 DTS-ES sounds fantastic and the DTS Neo:6 mode sounds good on normal TV too.

Overall very impressed with the sound output of such a small system

4. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Glad to be of help. I am impressed with my system too.