1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1 Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DanF, Jun 3, 2004.

1. DanF

DanF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of upgrading my old sony HTK275 amp and speakers. I already decided to go with KEF Speakers, but which amp do I choose.
    I require one with Component Inputs and Outputs on the back but I don't want to spend too much on one.

Is the Sony DB2000 any good?

I quite like the systems that setup themsleves using a mic too, but do they do a good job?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Auto setup systems are very good starts but not perfect. Final setup with a sound preasure meter is recommended.
    How much are you goning to spend on the amp?? If people know it makes recomendations easier.
    There are a couple of db2000 owners on here. Do a search on thei forum for db2000 and see what it tturns up. :D

3. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Marantz SR5400, it's a sweet receiver. Check out this one and similar models from Marantz, just name the features and specs you want, and there should be a model that matches.

4. DanF

DanF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at spending up to £500 on an amp, and around 800 on speakers. I like the Kef Eggs which you can get for £600 for a 5.1 set and then I just need the extra centre speaker.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have a look at the Marantz SR7400. It can be had for approx. £480. Do a search on here for sr7400 as Kazman did a good review of his or ask him. Also the Denon 2803 or the pioneer ax3 (maybe above your budget) or the 812/912.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Marantz SR7400 would suit you just fine and dandy, and can be had for less than £500 if you shop around on the Net, (rrp is £700). Lovely amp, and very musical too.

If music is not your thing, try a Yamaha RXV1400

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    OI what you saying about the RXV1400?? That fighting talk that be ;)

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Not that the RXV1400 isn't musical, just that the SR7400 is more so :) :D But then the RXV1400 is better with movies than the SR7400, so it all depends :D :devil:

9. rlukey

rlukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat as DanF... decided on eggs and extra centre (probably a Kef Coda 80) but which amp?!?
    Have narrowed it down to 3...
    Denon 2803 (in gold to match my 717.... why is everthing going silver or black now..?!?!)
    Marantz SR7400
    Sony DB2000

But considering the opinions in the forum I'm looking at the AX3 (shinobiwan just purchased...) more expensive and maybe too powerful for the eggs... but upgradeable...

HCH have a group review of the machines around the rrp £400 (http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3691) kinda model down from what you're looking at but maybe worth bearing in mind?!?

I'd like to know what you decide on... amp and centre... and how it works with the eggs...

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The SR7400 is also upgradeable through its RS232 port.

It depends on what you want, the AX3 is a great movie amp, but not as good with music. If you want the best balance between music and movies then the SR7400 is a good buy.

If you can stretch your budget to the Yamaha RXV1400, it is also worth looking at.

The 2803 has a lot of designer goodies, but is not as musical as the Marantz.

The choice is yours.

The one thing that can be said for definite though, is that all of the above are great amps, and you won't make a bad decision going for any of them.

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yup I agree
    :smashin:

I hate to disagree but the AX3 is NOT upgradeable as it has no rs232 port and neither does the AX5i (which sucks IMHO) Also the Yammy rxv1400 is also not upgradeable :suicide: I still love it though :devil:

I would recommend the Q6c/Q9c or a Kef Referance series (find em on ebay and this forum for approx £100) would be better and more tonally suited to the eggs than the Koda centre. Koda doesnt use the Kef Uni-Q speaker type.
    :clown:

12. DanF

DanF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to "test drive" some kit at the weekend, they've recommended the Kenwood 740 as it has component switching (which I need), so I'll let you all know.

Cheers,

Dan

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Kenwood? I thought they'd given up the ghost a long time ago for AV gear.

Be careful that the dealer you are going to doesn't try to rip you off, come back here for opinions before laying down any cash.

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The new yamaha's all have componant switching inc the 1400 and 2400. I would be wary the dealer isnt trying to get rid of old stock on you with the Kenwood. :eek:

15. Anth-M

Anth-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Denon AVR 2803 a few months back and have been blown away by it performance, I bought mine for under £500 then, and as this model is due to be replaced in the next month or so you should be able to pick one up for around £400, unfortunately it looks as if the AVR 2805 will sell for over £600 to start with.

I also use the Kef eggs for my 3 rear channels and the 2 spares in another room, which works wonderfully well with the rest of the rest of my system, be aware that if you have seen the Kefs advertised for the £600 on the web, that you will probably have to go and pick them up in person as Kef dealers are not permitted to distance sell this product, if you have a dealer selling them for this price near you then count your self lucky.

I agree with others about the Kenwood, I remember the news about them withdrawing from the AV market, which must be over 6 months ago?…

The best way to decide on what to chose is to listen, what might be someones cup of tea might not be yours.

16. DanF

DanF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0