1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1-7.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by luv ya jen, Sep 2, 2003.

1. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting a pioneer vsx912 amp at weekend and at the mo i have normal 5.1 as the amp is 6/7.1 what is the better effect also my rear speakers are wall mounted on the rear wall which is flush with the sofa would i get any benefits from 6/7.1 also directly behind my seating area i have a window which is around4 feet wide could i put 2 speakers in there as they will be fs1 speakers does the positioning really matter

2. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont be shy now

3. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Extra surround speakers to give a more dissipated envolving experieince and support for more surround formats. Especially good in larger rooms.

Generally advice is to have the rear speakers about level with your listening position and the extra surround rears behind you.

I've got the 2011 and use the extra 2 channels to bi-amp the front speakers (special setting in Amp menu - not sure if possible withyours). There is a subtle difference which makes complicated soundtracks slightly more clear and improve the quality of audio reproduction. My room is quite small so dont need, or have space for the extra set of speakers.

4. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

You say your rear speakers are flush with the sofa, so I take it the sofa is against the back wall of your room correct?
    What I suggest is you re-position the origonal rears to the sides of the room (if possible), and place the FS1's either end of the window. You won't really need to "toe-in" the FS1's as they have a wider dispertion than normal speakers.
    Ideally the both sets of surround speakers should be at, or just above ear height when you are seated. Heres a plan of my 7.1 setup so yours should look similar :-

f/l cen f/r

s/l sofa s/r

s/l/b s/r/b

BTW 7.1 does'nt really exist, it's just 6.1 but you use two surround back speakers that share the same signal (regardless whether the amp has 6 or 7 channels of amplfication).

Hope this helps?

TTFN.

5. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks alot m8 helped me out no end

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7.1 does exist... the better processors expand any signal that's stereo (or higher) to 7.1- for example Lexicon's Logic mode. It's been around since Pro-Logic (which only has mono rears); yet it has stereo side & rears.

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Discrete 7.1 Encoding Formats, however, do not :) (But from what I hear Logic 7 sounds pretty amazing anyway).

8. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry Nathan, but I must disagree.

As dimmy states there is currently NO 7.1 surround formats, only matrixed psuedo stereo for the surround back channels which use the signal from the side channels the same way as pro-logic gets it's surround information.
    The only true extended surround format is DTS ES 6.1 discrete which is encoded on the disc NOT by the circuitry in the AV processor, (Dolby digital EX uses an analog matrix system so is'nt really 6.1 channels).
    I understand that the Lexicon logic 7 mode will give the impression of stereo sound from the surround back speakers, but as there are no disc's encoded with 7.1 channels it cannot be classed as a true extended surround format.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Lexicon as they are amongst the finest processors you can buy, (just wish I could afford one), but I felt I had to clarify this matter.

No hard feelings eh!!

TTFN.