1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1/7.1 type 0f speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr Neato, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Mr Neato

Mr Neato
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As title really, I have two surround bipole speakers on the rear wall either side of the settee. Would like to add another 1 or 2 speakers. Options are 1) a normal speaker behind the sofa ala 6.1 or option 2) an extra two bipoles on the side walls and finally 3) two normal speakers on the side walls.

Mainly movies on this system not really concerned with SACD etc.

Any advice from people with any of the above systems welcomed what they use it for and any improvements of the one over the other. :lease: :confused:

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neato, as far as I'm aware if you have bipoles they're best placed either side of the sofa, for 6.1 or 7.1 you should then add monopole(s) behind the sofa.

I've only got 5.1 at present but wouldn't bother upgrading to 7.1 as so few discs are mixed in 7.1, 6.1 is probably a good upgrade.

Feel free to correct me here people, is 7.1 worth upgrading to over 6.1?

3. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have to agree with Mango.

6.1 i'd do no problem, and is a bit cheaper if you can by speakers individually.

The 7.1 option i feel would be a runner if your room had a wide back wall behind you and you felt 2 speakers would fill the area better then 1 on its own. After all they are going to be playing the exact same sound (i think anyway, guys correct me if i'm wrong in thinking this)

4. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a situation where you are sitting fairly close to the back of the room I'd strongly advise 7.1 over 6.1. The mono back channel doesn't really work well if you're sitting a little off to one side. Most 7.1 situations will run the two back surrounds in mono but this still helps a lot with the sound placement. Also means you can use EX/ES decoding on ye olde 5.1 sources without having to worry about some of the effects getting unintentially monoised...

However if you're sitting dead centre and a fair way from the wall it doesn't really make much difference either way.

5. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    used to have this setup with two pairs of monitor audio fxi's
    two to side. two to rear of sofa
    to be honest wasnt that impressed
    maybe room was too small
    was 11' wide sides were level with sofa and rears 3' behind
    tried speakers in both dipolar and bipolar mode