1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.1/7.1 rear speaker (sofa close to back wall)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rob100, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If the sofa was only 1-2 feet approx from the back wall is with worth considering a 6.1 or 7.1 set-up? Could you mount the speakers high and point them down?

Also when using a 6.1 set-up could you use a centre (front) speaker for the centre rear channel or would it be best to use the same speaker that's used for the surround (side) channels?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,400
    I have a 7.1 setup with the back of the sofa about 3" from the back wall! The sofa is a metal frame and the seat's are one big mattress as it pulls out to be a double bed.

So my back surround speakers are actually on the floor behind it, facing up. Not ideal but ok considering I don't have too much room there...

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i have 6.1 and sit about a foot from the rear wall (when reclined :D ). I have it at head height (i do have the convenience of a windowsill) and it is my old old front centre speaker. works a treat.

4. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    i've got 6.1 with 2 Canton CD10 speakers i had left, one was for my 6.1 but rewired them in series so i have two small rear speakers about 1 m apart wired in mono, as in 7.1

But i don't use my 'rear channel mix' option, just pure 6.1 modes, so they don't fire up very often. But when they do it fills in the sound behind lovely. They are slightly above my head firing into the room. Not tilted

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    How close are you to the back wall? When you say they are above your head, do you mean they are literaly that?

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Although I do not have 6.1 or 7.1, but just 5.1 my sofa is against back wall &
    I have used bipolars with the base of the speakers 32" above ear level. This has
    worked very well & gives good dispersion for surround effects with good point location of sounds. They fire out in a triangular formation, so although they don't
    point down there is a set of tweeters & drivers pointing towards listening position. Having the sound above the head for effects etc. I find works well.

For 6.1 I think they recommended adding another bipolar in the centre.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    timbo, identical for me one set aims sort of at you, and the other bounces off the side wall to disperse it more, works a treat

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    :thumbsup:

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    I have a 5.1 again with 2 bipolar rears (Mission 77DS) which also fire in a 'triangular' configuration for dispersion. My sofa is about 1 inch from the rear wall and the rears are about 1 foot from the ceiling on the rear wall (right over my head).

The sound is great seamlessly blending in with the others making movements around the sound stage very smooth.

I have considered going 7.1 but like you am not sure. Will I gain all that much with the room configuration I have? I would suggest you get the best 5.1 configuration you can afford and the next time you have some extra cash buy your left and right surrounds.

Whilst you are going for 5.1 try bipole or tripoles like the M&K K4s, they are really great for the priice although not everyones cup of tea looks wise. If i get a good enough amp then M&K column surrouns would be my first choice as they sit on the floor behing the sofa and fire up as well as left, right and forwards.

Ask Recruit for some advice as he owns some :D

10. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks for the replies... Food for thought... :confused:

Rob.

11. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I have my speaker on the floor behind the sofa pointing upwards ,i'm also using my old center speaker,it works quite well but only ever use it on 6.1 dvd tracks.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I have a similar set up to Timbo but use M&K K4 Tripoles and really dont think that with my current set up (i.e seating location) i am missing anything surround sound wise. I was tempted to get Smurfins K4 tripoles for use in 7.1 but one pair in 5.1 do well enough in my set up.

13. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I pull the sofa about 18" out and the speakes are about a foot above. The sofas pulled forwards as if not people would hit them with their heads, and little metal boxes don't like heads. I've seen blood :rotfl:

14. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I currently have 2 bipolar speakers mounted above the sofa and the sofa is situated into a C shaped alcove. I'm quite keen to move to 7.1 when I do out the lounge so I only have to make one lot of mess, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Now I don't have room for two traditional bookshelf speakers in the rear left/right positions (the bipolars would be in the rear center positions - is this even the right way round?) but I could gain another 18" (making it at least 24" between the speakers and the person siting in the outlining seats on the sofa) if I went with in wall mounted speakers. Is this going to produce good results and if so what brands/models should I be looking at?