6.1/7.1 - really worth it

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bonehead, Jun 18, 2004.

1. bonehead

bonehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering upgrading a few bits of kit, including changing my amp to one capable of 6.1 and 7.1 output.

In a small room (3m width x 4.5m length) how much am I going to gain with the 1 or 2 extra speakers? If I do go for the extra I'm leaning towards 6.1 rather than 7.1.

Any advice?

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I have just recently upgraded from 5.1 to 6.1 (using the Kef 2005.2 "eggs") and must say I am delighted with the difference. For your information, my room is 6 x 4 metres, and my amp is a Denon 2802.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i have a 4x 4.5m room and overall, i'd say i wish i hadn't bothered with 6.1. just seemed a waste of having a 7.1 capable amp and not using the extended surround capability. for a smaller room, definetly keep with 5.1

incidentally, if u still want to go to 6/7.1, i hope your new amp has DPLIIx. That gives a true 6/7.1 signal from 2ch sources. If it hasnt', then get one!! the Yamaha RXV450 supports it.