5V Power supply hard wiring

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by WAYNEDOLLEY, Feb 9, 2009.

1. WAYNEDOLLEY

WAYNEDOLLEY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Can anyone give me there advice on how it is best to hard wire your sat nav into your vehicle. I have a Saab 93.

But the basics will be the same.

I do not want to run power from the cigar lighter as the cable trail through the car and I have to have the ashtray open for access to the lighter.
    This looks naff.

I want it to appear as a professional installation.

Cheers.

Wayne.

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +947
    Almost all sat nav's will us a cigarette-lighter'-style plug in module to supply the correct voltage, current and polarity to the connector for the unit.

Therefore you'll need to find a suitable location in the dash or glovebox or other area behind some trim where that plug unit plus a wired socket (similar to some of thse shown on 12 Volt Plugs & Adaptors from Towsure ) can be located.

The input wires to that socket will need to pick up a suitable +12v fused feed (ignition controlled, or manually switched from somewhere) and a ground/earth (via a screw into the bodywork). A Saab owners forum may have someone who can advise where to get the power feed from.

You'd be wise to tie-wrap the plug and socket together to ensure they stay mated properly if they are inaccessible.