5v Antenna power

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by toadoftoadhall, Aug 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    just got a LG 37lc2db, and on page 49 of the manual ( yes, sad I know, I actually read manuals) it says something about sending a 5v signal up the aerial wire, even if you dont have a fancy 5v aerial. What does it do, ( it doenst explain) and is it ok to do it even if I dont have a fancy aerial, and what does it do anyway?

many thanks

toad

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    I would expect that the 5 volts is only for use if you have a splitter or preamplifer (that needs 5 DC volts power) in line , i.e. between your TV and the actual antenna.
    Some aerials are a DC short and would short the 5 volts to ground - not good for the TV.
    So with a normal aerial you should ensure that the 5 volts is disabled in the setup or aerial menu.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. Prof

Prof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Most masthead amplifiers require a 12v supply, we now use a few that work with 5v, although they will accept a 12v input. Seems strange that LG decided on 5 volts. Also, I would expect that the 5v feed from the TV is short circuit protected, so that if it is enabled, and there is no amplifier, there should be no harm to the TV. I would, however, take Chris`s advice, and disable it if you don`t have an aerial amp fitted.

4. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    many thanks for the replies, clears it up a bit.

toad