1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5metre HDMI cable required? Will this be an issue ???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by paulmcp2403, Aug 2, 2005.

1. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    5m HDMI cable required for connection between my samsung hd950 and panny ae700 projector both with HDMI sockets ....

I am willing to pay about £40 and maplins ahve them for £36 ish....

or ebay £14 - this one -

100% new high quality generic (non-OEM) HDMI M / M Cable, 5M 100% new high quality generic (non-OEM) HDMI M / M Cable, 5M

Questions - what is all this HDMI - P and Q etc ???? - I thought HDMI was HDMI? one ebay an HDMI -m is £14 but and HDMI - P or Q is £59 ??!?!?!? I'm confused ?????

Oh and I was wondering if there are issues with HDMI over a certain cable length....I know that techincally there shouldn't be ...but hey I thought I'd ask :O)

2. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Jeez I'm surprised no=one has answered this....oh well....I will scout about and see what I come up with :O)

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    paulmcp2403

The theory goes that all HDMI cables are create equal - others will argue this is not the case!

HDMI should be good for up to 20m - and some manufacturers are now offering longer HDMI cables.

I do find some cables can have a negative effect on Image quality and also some cables come with connectors that tend to be prone to mis connections.

A 5m Molex cable is sub £40.00 and works very well.

Best regards

Joe