5M HDMI cable for 4K 120Hz.

willz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Since I got my LG OLED and RTX 3080 I'm keen to use 4k 120Hz and GSYNC.

The issue is I need a 5M long cable, I already have a 5M long cable that can do 4K 60Hz/HDR at RGB Full / 8bit. However this cable when I plug it straight into the TV rather than via my amp causes a whole world of issues, it allows me to select 10 and 12 bit, but the screen will loose signal and restart PC is required, in worst case booting the PC into safe mode and remove Nvidia drivers.

Weirdly the cable will do 4k 120Hz when I go into the Nvidia control panel and look at PC rather than TV settings, but HDR doesn't work and colour range is limited. It must be the cable, Amazon Basics HDMI 2.0.

Any help in finding the right cable, I can move the PC closer to the TV for a shorter cable, but then I'd need a cable too long that won't support my Dell Monitor at 1440p 165Hz with HDR and full colour range so I'm kind of stuck without a 5m cablr

You will ideally need a UHS certified cable for 4k 120Hz HDR, which at 5m do not exist. Your next best bet maybe an 8k Ruipro Hybrid fibre.

Amazon product ASIN B081SDZZ14
The bad news is that is £115 for 5m
5m is 16.4', or thereabouts. Zeskit has a certified UHS HDMI cable at that length. I think Belkin is now offering a UHS HDMI cable as well and Ruipro will be releasing theirs in mid-January. All cables will come with a legitimate QR label of authenticty.

Interesting that Zeskit are very careful with their wording.

Certified Connectors, not cables

1606234743838.png

and their packaging is even more obtuse

1606234617859.png

Ultra HD High Speed Cable, not Ultra High Speed Cable. This is off Zeskit's website. Nowhere do they say their HDMI Cables are Ultra High Speed. They put it on their plugs

1606234920723.png

But then explain that its only the plugs that are certified. Also no QR codes or Holograms.

Otto I am not doubting you if you say they exist, but they are not advertising them on their website. They are advertising 48Gbs cables

Interesting that Zeskit are very careful with their wording.

Certified Connectors, not cables

View attachment 1408992

and their packaging is even more obtuse

View attachment 1408989

Ultra HD High Speed Cable, not Ultra High Speed Cable. This is off Zeskit's website. Nowhere do they say their HDMI Cables are Ultra High Speed. They put it on their plugs

View attachment 1409003

But then explain that its only the plugs that are certified. Also no QR codes or Holograms.

Otto I am not doubting you if you say they exist, but they are not advertising them on their website. They are advertising 48Gbs cables
I understand your doubt and that's exactly what I pointed out to Zeskit. They said that their cables were certified and ready for distribution but there was an issue with HDMI LA in getting the QR labels to them before they supplied Amazon US with their cables. They agreed that it was a bit misleading but marketing wanted them available now. They received the QR labels about 3 weeks ago and are labeling the new packaging with the labels and all the other requirements. Unfortunately, Amazon US controls the distribution and they now have a mixed group of cables. Some with the QR labels and some without so Amazon will randomly distribute the cables until their stock of un-labeled cables is depleted, and after that they will only have the labeled (QR) cables. However, they told me yesterday that the cables are exactly the same. The only difference is the lack of the QR label. I have some Zeskit cables being delivered today for testing purposes so we'll see how they are labeled and packaged. From the reports I've seen over here, the cables are performing as expected for those who have HDMI 2.1 options (gamers).

Zeskit is in discussions with Amazon UK to distribute their cables. They are in the account verification phase but it has slowed down a bit due to CV-19 so it may be a few more weeks before Amazon UK carries their cables.

Thanks Otto, your recommendation alone would be enough for me to try one. Cheers

You stick your head above the parapet, expect some arrows to be fired at you 🤪🏹

Oh I've had my share of arrows slung at me :( .

You chose to be a Pioneer... and you know what the definition of a Pioneer is....

A man who walks in front of a wagon-train, with his ass full of arrows !!😉

You chose to be a Pioneer... and you know what the definition of a Pioneer is....

A man who walks in front of a wagon-train, with his ass full of arrows !!😉
:D. FWIW, the Zeskit cables were just delivered. Nice packaging with the QR label affixed. They are called Maya, Ultra HD High Speed HDMI Cable. Will probably install and test this weekend.

Yeah. Ruipro has a spelling error on their packaging as well that I pointed out to them last year but until they need to print new labels.......... Obviously a translation error somewhere.

:D. FWIW, the Zeskit cables were just delivered. Nice packaging with the QR label affixed. They are called Maya, Ultra HD High Speed HDMI Cable. Will probably install and test this weekend.

Please report, I have the exact same problem. I need a 5m HDMI cable capable of 4K at 120Hz

Please report, I have the exact same problem. I need a 5m HDMI cable capable of 4K at 120Hz
The cables work fine for what I need. However, I'm not a gamer nor do I have any HDMI 2.1 devices but given the length, build quality, certification, and reports from other users who are gamers, the cables work as expected. Just be mindful of installation because the cables are stiff so bend radius and strain on the HDMI ports needs to be carefully evaluated.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this and any experience with it? I need to run about 5-6m from upstairs, down under the floorboard to downstairs TV. I already have Cat7 run so would it be better to spend the money on the fibre cables linked above, or is there a better/different way, which could utilise the Cat7 maybe?

CAT-7 cable, while it may work just fine, is not an IEEE recognized standard nor is it approved by TIA/EIA. It also doesn't use standard RJ-45 (8P8C) connectors. It uses GG45 connectors, unless that's changed. Performance-wise, solid core CAT-6 or 6a, UTP, (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable is recommended, and is probably cheaper. To use CAT cabling for HDMI you need to terminate with HDBT, which works quite well but currently carries compressed data. The new chipsets (VS3000) are supposed to carry un-compressed data but I don't know if they have been incorporated yet into the units.

At present, Ultra High Speed HDMI (HDMI 2.1 options) cables are passive and limited to 5m (16'). The cables are a bit stiff so you need to be really mindful of bend radius which can adversely affect signal propagation and also place undue stress on the HDMI ports, which is no bueno. Longer than that, an active, hybrid fiber cable, like the Ruipor 8k, Gen-3b, is what is recommended. However, the use of a conduit is highly recommended because that makes cable installation easier, safer, and gives you much better control over bend radius. A single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc is the most reliable connection. Keep in mind that no cable, regardless of product descriptions or slick marketing, is guaranteed to work 100% of the time with all devices and installations so lay the cable out of the floor first and thoroughly test it before final installation to make sure it meets your needs and expectations.

CAT-7 cable, while it may work just fine, is not an IEEE recognized standard nor is it approved by TIA/EIA. It also doesn't use standard RJ-45 (8P8C) connectors. It uses GG45 connectors, unless that's changed. Performance-wise, solid core CAT-6 or 6a, UTP, (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated ethernet) cable is recommended, and is probably cheaper. To use CAT cabling for HDMI you need to terminate with HDBT, which works quite well but currently carries compressed data. The new chipsets (VS3000) are supposed to carry un-compressed data but I don't know if they have been incorporated yet into the units.

At present, Ultra High Speed HDMI (HDMI 2.1 options) cables are passive and limited to 5m (16'). The cables are a bit stiff so you need to be really mindful of bend radius which can adversely affect signal propagation and also place undue stress on the HDMI ports, which is no bueno. Longer than that, an active, hybrid fiber cable, like the Ruipor 8k, Gen-3b, is what is recommended. However, the use of a conduit is highly recommended because that makes cable installation easier, safer, and gives you much better control over bend radius. A single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc is the most reliable connection. Keep in mind that no cable, regardless of product descriptions or slick marketing, is guaranteed to work 100% of the time with all devices and installations so lay the cable out of the floor first and thoroughly test it before final installation to make sure it meets your needs and expectations.

I didn't realise you could get 5m safely. That would probably be sufficient for me. I am going to be extra safe and mark some cable, pull it through and see what sort of size I can get away with. 5m may be just enough. All above is really useful solid advice as well, thank you!

I didn't realise you could get 5m safely. That would probably be sufficient for me. I am going to be extra safe and mark some cable, pull it through and see what sort of size I can get away with. 5m may be just enough. All above is really useful solid advice as well, thank you!
Just remember that if you go the certified route, those cables are stiff so you absolutely don't want any sharp, 90º bends in the cable and you need to give yourself some extra room at the HDMI ports. ATC certified cables, Ultra High Speed HMDI (with the QR label of authenticity) have only been recently released (late October in the U.S.) so they may still be a bit difficult to find.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom