5kg turkey cooked in 55 minutes?

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by the whistler, Dec 26, 2016.

1. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    A few weeks ago I bought a Samsung Chef Collection oven. Quite expensive but comes with all the gadgets including a meat probe and steam cooking.

Yesterday being Christmas Day, it was time to test it out with a 5kg turkey. I would have expected this to take around two and a half to three hours in a conventional oven.

The Samsung has an auto cook feature, so I just selected the 5kg turkey option and followed the instructions to insert the probe and fill the water container.

After this its just a matter of pressing the start button. No need to set temperature or time.

Much to my surprise, just 55 minutes later the oven beeped and displayed cooking completed. The probe registered 90c in the centre of the turkey and it certainly looked cooked. Sticking a skewer into the breast and legs showed the juices running clear.

Not wishing to food poison my guests, I manually cooked the turkey for another hour. Although tasty, It did seem a little over cooked, so I'm wondering if I should have trusted the technology. Could it really have been cooked so quickly?

The instruction manual is rather vague on how the auto function and meat probe work and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience of using a Samsung or other make of this century which works like this?

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    Where did you have the probe exactly? It wasn't in the cavity or stuffing in the cavity was it? Or in bone? I would imagine getting a meat probe correctly in a turkey is an art form - presumably the legs provide sufficient meat for it though.

Then again maybe the steam ovens are that quick - 55 minutes is pretty outstanding for a 5 kg turkey though.

Edit - it seems the probe is the only way to test it is done 'properly'. Breast minimum seems to be about 77 deg C and thigh about 83 deg C (rough conversions from farenheight). Apparently you should also probe through to stuffing to make sure it is a minimum of about 72 deg C as well......

Yours at 90 and juices flowing clear (all agree on the juices flowing clear being the sign it is cooked) sounds like it was cooked.......

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    The manual advises to insert into the thickest part of the breast, but it may have penetrated into the cavity which wasn't stuffed. Apparently the probe measures temp at three points along its length.

The good news is that nobody suffered food poisoning.