1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$5k-^$k for new projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Zn_Logic, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Zn_Logic

Zn_Logic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    $5k-^k to spend on new projector

Hey guys & gals,

I don't want to turn this into a lenghty thread about which projector is the best.
    The problem is I have read numerous reviews on DLP/LCD/Lcos projectors and I am still not sure on which projector to buy.

I have $5k-$6k to spend on a projector only. I am leaning towards the KNoLL HD284 (same as Infocus 7210) unit that wont be available untill sometime in March 05.

I need your input: Is this a good choice for me?

1. I plan on projecting a 15ft image on a 110" screen.
    2. Light controll is a problem
    3. I am looking for vivid colors and a sharp image.

Thanks for your time.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you've not demoed a DLP and can't afford to write of a bad mistake you'd be ill-advised to buy one IMHO.

I have an Optoma H77, not sure what price that is in the US, especially with current exchange rates, but I think it'll easily project that size at that distance, I throw 92" from 15' with only a slight touch on the zoom.

However, if you can't control ambient light then you should really question whether front projection is what you should go for, maybe rear projection would be better.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    (sic)

KraGorn is spot-on, if light control is an issue you should be looking for an alternative display technology, imo. If you can accomodate it you could rig a rear projection screen, alternatively a big RPTV. I wouldn't bother with either, tbh, I'd deal with the light control. Ambient light is a no-no as far as I'm concerned.

If you haven't already done so, my standard advice for newcomers to front projection is demo, demo, demo. I take it that you're posting for the USA, you're very welcome here, make no mistake, but you might get better localised advice re demos and dealership over on avsforum.com, a similar site to this one.

Sean G.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I concur with the above advice, but if you still want to go with front projection, a bright pj with a grey screen that has gain - I highly recommend the Stewart Firehawk which does a very good job. Best results will always be with a dark room though.

The only way to know for sure is to demo, so do try to see some projectors in rooms with ambient light so that you know what to expect when you get it home.

I think that you should keep the tv for datytime viewing, and a projector for night time movie viewing - assuming it's daylight that is your main source of ambient light.

Gary.

5. Zn_Logic

Zn_Logic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much guys:
    I live in Oklahoma not to many places here that carry the mid priced projectors.
    Either low end or high end. But I maybe wrong about that statement.