5g internet home coverage

anuplander

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am moving into a flatshare with 5 people total, with bedrooms on the ground, first and second floor.

The 5g coverage is good in the area with the provider, Three, in the area. If i purchase a package would i still have to worry that the 5g router in the property wouldn't have a powerful enough signal to be picked up by every room? Can boosters be bought? Would a 5g router only be suitable to serve one floor? Would putting the router on the 1st floor likely serve the whole house. Would we need to purchase multiple 5g packages to get multiple routers to serve the whole house by putting on each floor? The house is quite narrow and compact for a 3 storey.

I am looking at 5g options as the landline broadband can only reach an average of around 30 mbps, and i am looking at alternatives to support it. I am considering 4g options too, as i have heard they are liable to drop off less, with consistent connections and it looks like boosters are available.

A total of 60-100mbps+ should be plenty enough for the 5 of us at the same time using multiple internet sources. That is the problem we need to solve in the London, UK, to top up the landline broadband for everyone's usage needs.

Online it is tough to find the answer about 5g home router in home coverage.

If you can advise, cheers, if not no worries.

I believe a 5g router will work the same as a standard router in terms of wifi around the house. Before you go for 5g contract unless it is a sim only per month contract (not a 12/24mths contract) I would check what type of service you get at inside the home on all floors.

I moved to Vodaphone in August this year on their 5g contract and do not even get 4g service in some part of the house, outside the phone shows 5g but I get 4g speeds. I have tested the sim in another phone to rule out and issue with the phone.

In terms of getting wifi to other parts of the house if you are getting 5g speeds from the router one option would be to run a cable with an access point at the other end or home plugs connected to an access point if the wifi service in the other floors is not good enough.

For an access point you can use a cheap ISP router if you have a spare one or purchase some cheap BT Home Hubs from eBay and make them into a wifi access point.

Placing the router on the 1st floor may be a better option but with wifi it is sometimes a trial and error task.

Home networking is the same regardless of how the internet connection works. A '5G router' is just a normal router with the VDSL modem swapped out for a 5G radio. It doesn't change how you set up your wi-fi network inside the property.

'Boosters' would be the normal access points, range extenders and so on that you'd use with any other router.

The only thing communicating with the tower is the router so that's the only point where the signal strength matters.

Excellent responses, thank you very much for your time EndlessWaves and Sep8001. I will assess in the 14 trial period about the network quality and setting up access points from the router or indeed a wired connection from the 5g router itself if it's reasonable.

The landline broadband provider are offering Eeros devices for their service. I was wondering if these could instead be used to connect to the 5g router and thus help with the coverage of the 5g in the house?

Excellent responses, thank you very much for your time EndlessWaves and Sep8001. I will assess in the 14 trial period about the network quality and setting up access points from the router or indeed a wired connection from the 5g router itself if it's reasonable.

The landline broadband provider are offering Eeros devices for their service. I was wondering if these could instead be used to connect to the 5g router and thus help with the coverage of the 5g in the house?

If I am looking at the link correctly you pay a monthly amount, and think you may be better off with a homeplug setup with a cheap second router as an access point.

Given Amazon's appalling track record of compatibility with other products I wouldn't want to say for sure those particular ones were standard networking gear without investigating but those sorts of range extender packs in general are fine.

Although if you are going for a setup with a wireless link between them (wireless backhaul in the jargon) I'd generally prioritise fewer more expensive units over lots of cheap ones.

They won't do anything to affect 5G coverage.

Your wi-fi is an entirely separate network, and your data traffic is transferred between that and the 5G network (or a landline) by the router.

So anything that's connecting to 5G directly - like the phone of a visitor without your wi-fi password - won't see any improvement.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom