58PUS8105 Alexa broken after TV software update

nickmooney

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello.

When I got my 58PUS8105 the latest software was TPM206E _ 201.003.098.001 and everything worked fine. I could control the TV volume, channels, turn it on or off and a couple of days ago it had a software update to TPM206E _ 201.003.160.001.

The problems started when I couldn't turn the TV on (Alexa would say "TV isn't responding" but after I turned it on with the remote control it would work as normal. Yesterday nothing worked with Alexa (TV isn't responding) so today I deleted the skill, I reset the TV, reinstalled to factory settings, set everything up, it found the TV and when I tried to do anything it said when I asked Alexa to do anything it said TV is not responding.

Is there any way I can downgrade the software to the previous version? Not that I can find it for download anywhere. Has anyone else had any issues like this since the latest software update..

The TV is wirelessly connected to the network and appears to be working as normal. The "Philips SAPHI Smart TV Voice Control" skill is set up on Alexa.

Release note:
Philips 2K20 78x5/81x5 - ranges TPM206E _ 201.003.160.001– Date: 2021/09/03
Improvements on WIFI connection stability - System stability improvements - Improvements on connection with set top boxes - Improvements on Smart TV app performance - Improved Ambilight performance (especially after stand by) - Miracast improvements - Many more minor fixes

Hello.

When I got my 58PUS8105 the latest software was TPM206E _ 201.003.098.001 and everything worked fine. I could control the TV volume, channels, turn it on or off and a couple of days ago it had a software update to TPM206E _ 201.003.160.001.

The problems started when I couldn't turn the TV on (Alexa would say "TV isn't responding" but after I turned it on with the remote control it would work as normal. Yesterday nothing worked with Alexa (TV isn't responding) so today I deleted the skill, I reset the TV, reinstalled to factory settings, set everything up, it found the TV and when I tried to do anything it said when I asked Alexa to do anything it said TV is not responding.

Is there any way I can downgrade the software to the previous version? Not that I can find it for download anywhere. Has anyone else had any issues like this since the latest software update..

The TV is wirelessly connected to the network and appears to be working as normal. The "Philips SAPHI Smart TV Voice Control" skill is set up on Alexa.

Release note:
Philips 2K20 78x5/81x5 - ranges TPM206E _ 201.003.160.001– Date: 2021/09/03
Improvements on WIFI connection stability - System stability improvements - Improvements on connection with set top boxes - Improvements on Smart TV app performance - Improved Ambilight performance (especially after stand by) - Miracast improvements - Many more minor fixes
Hi, I made an acc just to reply to this post. I have exactly the same problem, I have had a cursory look around the internet for an archive or something to solve this with older versions but have found nothing, Not very savy on this type of hunt the web. If you find anything to solve this, some older software or a workaround could you point me to it please.

I'm also running TPM206E _ 201.003.160.001

Hi, I made an acc just to reply to this post. I have exactly the same problem, I have had a cursory look around the internet for an archive or something to solve this with older versions but have found nothing, Not very savy on this type of hunt the web. If you find anything to solve this, some older software or a workaround could you point me to it please.

I'm also running TPM206E _ 201.003.160.001
I had a hunt around for others who are having SAPHI issues and it appears that once you've re-installed the TV it just never ever works again due to some issue Philips end with the skill. There's a thread on Reddit about a different model, but a Philips SAPHI Alexa still thing here:

I had a hunt around for others who are having SAPHI issues and it appears that once you've re-installed the TV it just never ever works again due to some issue Philips end with the skill. There's a thread on Reddit about a different model, but a Philips SAPHI Alexa still thing here:

Thank you.
It seems there are quite a few of us having this problem, I guess we can do a couple of things now... Wait months for Philips to recognise and correct this, or re-install the TV with the previous version and disable auto-updates, Problem is getting the TPM206E _ 201.003.098.001– Date: 2021/04/08
Would be very grateful if anyone knows an archive or could upload a copy somewhere.

I will keep looking around for a solution, I will post if I find anything you can use.

Hi, I too had problems with the same update on my 43PUS7855/12. I was able to install the previous version of the update (201.003.098.001) in October but, by mistake, I reupdated to the current version. I saved the 201.003.098.001 update file and I tried to update again by usb, but I can't get the TV to recognize the file. Does anyone remember or know some way to fix this or force the TV to update using a .pkg file?

Hi, I too had problems with the same update on my 43PUS7855/12. I was able to install the previous version of the update (201.003.098.001) in October but, by mistake, I reupdated to the current version. I saved the 201.003.098.001 update file and I tried to update again by usb, but I can't get the TV to recognize the file. Does anyone remember or know some way to fix this or force the TV to update using a .pkg file?
Hello, as far as I know everyone with this update still has the same problem, And contacting Philips has made no differance. I have spoken to several people from Philips on differant occasions, and nothing. they know of the problem but not when/if ever... it will see any attention in future updates.

Thank you for the reply. I've been trying to install the previous update and I just now got it to work. For anyone who has the same problem:
  • I downloaded the update from the link that some one posted in this thread;
  • Extrated the file. pkg to a pendrive previously formatted to Fat32 (8Gb tops) to the root folder (don't put it in any folder);
  • Remove the power thing from the outlet;
  • Put the pendrive on the black USB entrance, the number 1;
  • Insert the power thing on the outlet again and don't turn on the TV. It will turn on by itself.
It's gonna take some time for something to show up on the screen, but for me ir will.

Its the second time I install this update.

I use Google TV which uses Dolby Vision and with this new update it stopped working.

I too contacted support in my country (Portugal) and they've been very helpful. They contacted me several times trying to fix the problem. I hadn't heard from the since October. Hope they are trying to fix the problem for everyone.

PS: Sorry for the bad English.

Thank you for the reply. I've been trying to install the previous update and I just now got it to work. For anyone who has the same problem:
  • I downloaded the update from the link that some one posted in this thread;
  • Extrated the file. pkg to a pendrive previously formatted to Fat32 (8Gb tops) to the root folder (don't put it in any folder);
  • Remove the power thing from the outlet;
  • Put the pendrive on the black USB entrance, the number 1;
  • Insert the power thing on the outlet again and don't turn on the TV. It will turn on by itself.
It's gonna take some time for something to show up on the screen, but for me ir will.

Its the second time I install this update.

I use Google TV which uses Dolby Vision and with this new update it stopped working.

I too contacted support in my country (Portugal) and they've been very helpful. They contacted me several times trying to fix the problem. I hadn't heard from the since October. Hope they are trying to fix the problem for everyone.

PS: Sorry for the bad English.
Thank you for giving me an update on how it went for you, So if i understand correct. You installed the previous version and now your TV is working how it was before with alexa, and was able to read the pkg file?

Could you please be a little more spacific on how long you had to wait with the flash drive in the USB port for the tv to be working again.

Thanks.

The problem with my TV was with Google TV, not with Alexa. I don't have that.
But yes I installed the previous version and it's working just as it was before the update.
I followed this instructions Philips: Upgrade/Downgrade mit Upgrade Loader - Toengels Philips Blog
(the english version is on the bottom of the page)

This way were the only one that forced the TV to read the .pkg file.
I think it about 5 to 10 min to update. I just had it running and I left the room to do something else. It take a while for the "starting upgrade process" lable to show up. You don't have to do anything. When I arrived back to the room the TV was on and normal.
Just remember to turn of the automatic update. You will have a notification about a new update available pop up every time you turn on the TV, but it better then having the TV broken.

Remember, I did this at my own risk, but it has worked both times I did it on my 43PUS7805.

Hope it helps.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem as many of you: Philips 65PUS7855, jumping from 93.1 to 160.1, Alexa couldn't command anymore the TV and her answer was always "TV not responsive".
After have read this topic, I was ready to downgrade the firmware but first I decided to call the Italian Philips support desk. The very kind lady send me an email with the "procedure".
I had to reinstall the 160.1 firmware and, after the TV rebooted, I had to reinstall the TV through the main menu. After that, I made the log in on the Alexa app on the TV and immediately Alexa (the physical device) said "found new device TV".
Now everything restored and it is possible to command the TV via Alexa.
Just my experience... I hope this could be useful for you.

Thanks for the info, I have reinstalled the latest software many time but alway get the same result. The Alexa app opens but will not proceed to the login, justy says it cant contact the server and asks to try again or do it later.

Ok, let me remember step by step what I did.
Created the USB stick, disconnected the TV power cable, inserted the USB stick and reconnected the power cable.
The firmware update started automatically and got completed after a few minutes. The TV rebooted and, WITHOUT removing the USB stick (yes, I forgot it in), I reinstalled the TV (settings, general settings, reinstall TV).
The TV rebooted by it self and it started again the firmaware update (obviously because I left the USB stick in).
After this second update (it flashed always the same firmware of course), I removed the USB stick and reinstalled the TV normally.
After have completed the initial configuration, I opened the Alexa app on the TV and it worked normally.
I don't know if flashing the firmware "twice" could be a solution...

Worth a try I guess, loseing nothing at this point. Thank you for taking the time to reply

Hi Guys.

Sorry for the very late responce, Hope you all had a great christmas.

Well I did manage to flash the TV with the previous version of the softwear. The TV is now working as it should and I have saved a copy of this version to re-flash if this problem ever comes back.
I will not be upgrading the TV firmware untill its been properly fixed.

Thank you all for your input to this forum, it may take some time to correct things but we get there in the end.

P.s Happy new year to you all in a few days time.

The 7805,7855 and 8105 are all the same set.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom