58DX902b impulse buy help....

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Kilojango, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Kilojango

Kilojango
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been lurking around these forums for a while now (Love reading about the latest tv's). I was planning on changing TV later this year (Maybe early next year) but have read a lot of great things about the 58DX902b. As its no longer in production it seems the last opportunity I will get to grab one especially at the prices they are currently going for. The TV I buy will be used for console gaming (Xbox One currently then Xbox One X when its released), films and normal tv.

My dillema is as follows:

I was in Curry's earlier with the family (window shopping as you do) and I saw one for £1199 which seems a brilliant price! The problems are its Curry's and ex display. It appears to come with a '5 Year Manufacturer's Warranty'.

I was just looking for some advice from anyone who has either had to use Panasonics own warranty (I can find little information anywhere regarding it) and anyone who has bought ex display models. I understand we have our consumer rights act but I've had no experience with putting it into practice should anything go wrong. I'm loathe to use Curry's (Would normally always use RS or JL) but this seems like a last opportunity for this particular TV. A possible alternative i'm toying with is a refurb of the 65DX902b on Panasonics outlet site for £1499 + their 1 year warranty (Although I will have to buy a 3rd party stand as it won't fit on my TV cabinet.... and the wife will kill me :p)

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this :)

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    as far as the 58 incher goes, at least go into the service menu and see how many hours its been on and how many times its been turned on. For some perspective, my wife's 65dx900 has been on for 2780hrs and turned on a total of 578 times.

65inches is always the preferable size no matter what. However if its upsetting for your better half, go for the 58, especially if it's bigger than your current tv.

If you're a nitpicker, then don't buy any tv. My 2 65dx900s are both really excellent panels but not absolutely perfect.

3. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,929
    I have the 58" DX and I love the size although its not the "preferred" 65" the 58" does look big.
    If the screen looks good on it with no issues then I would go with the Curry's option and the 5 year warranty. Purchase with a credit card if you can for additional cover !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. brantuk

brantuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Useful info from the responses above - and we're very happy with our 58" DX902B too which only just fits in the bay window with speakers either side - or we woulda bought the 65". Tiny bit of motion blur occasionally but otherwise it's fine.

It has an awkward footprint designed into it - I solved that with a standard smoked glass TV/HiFi table from Richer Sounds which was just a tiny bit too small by 3" or 4" (width wise). Then picked a plain dark grey kitchen worktop from B&Q (you can get plain black) and had it cut to size in their sawing section.

It's just a bit wider than the table and a little smaller than the TV stand width. Pop a large piece of non-slip rubber mesh (used in kitchens) between the two to keep it in place.... bingo a quite smart looking 58" TV stand. The two shelf table can be configured to take a center speaker directly underneath the telly. All together it was just under £80 (I did haggle a little). :)