5800 power button really annoying

charlene265

Standard Member
Just got my 5800 - love it, except I am finding the power button really annoying when I turn it on/off. It is hard to push it. My power button is quite pushed in already (ie it is below the surface of the phone a little). Anyone else have a phone like this too? Is just how they are? Thanks!

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Think it's just the way they were designed, slightly sub-flush to help avoid accidental presses.

I have no problem with it to be honest.

benhaha85

If you find it that much of a pain just use the stylus to turn it off. Simples!

gingerninja72

I never turn my phone off. The battery life is so good, I only have to charge it once a week anyway, so I prefer to just leave it on over night. Don't know how much truth there is in this, but I read somewhere that it is actually good for the battery life too

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Don't think I've used the power button on mine since the day i got it :)

Leave Bluetooth off when you don't need it and the battery will last a good 4-5days. If you don't want to hear calls in the night tap the screen under the cock and switch to silent before bed.

charlene265

Standard Member
Thanks everyone...it may be normal. Its just feels like needs quite lot pressure to turn it off/on. Anyway will see in town tomorrow if other phones like it.

3T3L1

Leave Bluetooth off when you don't need it and the battery will last a good 4-5days. If you don't want to hear calls in the night tap the screen under the cock and switch to silent before bed.

hahaha i won't point out the obvious typo here :devil:

how do you get such a long life? mine (o2 firmware, v21) gets 3 days, 4 if I'm lucky and I turn it off each night.

probably use for 20-30 texts/day a few mins phone and about 20-30 mins on internet via both WAP and WiFi each day.

i assume yours is debranded - think this will make a significant difference?

all the usual (screen brightness down to min, bluetooth and wifi scanning off) battery saving measures have been deployed

prking

hahaha i won't point out the obvious typo here :devil:

how do you get such a long life? mine (o2 firmware, v21) gets 3 days, 4 if I'm lucky and I turn it off each night.

probably use for 20-30 texts/day a few mins phone and about 20-30 mins on internet via both WAP and WiFi each day.

i assume yours is debranded - think this will make a significant difference?

all the usual (screen brightness down to min, bluetooth and wifi scanning off) battery saving measures have been deployed

Phones use more power when you switch them on than if you had left it in standby. (unless for a couple of days).

When you turn it on, it has to initialise, initialise the memory card, register with the network, start any background apps, play a startup tune etc. This uses more power than just sitting there ticking over. There is also some battery drain when you switch off.

So in most cases its a false economy to switch the phone off.

3T3L1

Phones use more power when you switch them on than if you had left it in standby. (unless for a couple of days).

When you turn it on, it has to initialise, initialise the memory card, register with the network, start any background apps, play a startup tune etc. This uses more power than just sitting there ticking over. There is also some battery drain when you switch off.

So in most cases its a false economy to switch the phone off.

That's interesting - I'm not sure I believe it though as mine's off from about 10pm to 6am (so about 8 hours a day).

Therefore, unless turning it on is using more than a third of a day's use, it must be saving something.

If turning on/off uses that much power then performing 20-30 power cycles would drain the battery - which definitely doesn't happen as I've just tried it!

voxish

Standard Member

:blush:

prking

That's interesting - I'm not sure I believe it though as mine's off from about 10pm to 6am (so about 8 hours a day).

Therefore, unless turning it on is using more than a third of a day's use, it must be saving something.

If turning on/off uses that much power then performing 20-30 power cycles would drain the battery - which definitely doesn't happen as I've just tried it!

Download the power monitor software from Nokia Labs, you can see a log of how much energy the handset is using. You might be surprised.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom