5800 Maps

mda1974

Hello

Can anyone tell me if the maps on this phone are preloaded or do you have to pay for a data connection each time you look at them?

I'm thinking of getting this phone and wont be using the satnav much as I have a tomtom but would like to use it now and again if it's not to pricy.

Thanks

Marcus

SHATNERSTACTIC

Hello

Can anyone tell me if the maps on this phone are preloaded or do you have to pay for a data connection each time you look at them?

I'm thinking of getting this phone and wont be using the satnav much as I have a tomtom but would like to use it now and again if it's not to pricy.

Thanks

Marcus

Pre-load the country you need using map loader (map loader is on the PC suite).

sjaisie

Standard Member
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar question. Is there any cost to use the map service? If I download google maps to the phone can I get my current location and get directions free of charge?

Shugster

If you have a data package, then it won't cost anything. Google Maps needs a data connection. Works really well though. I prefer it to Nokia's maps.

Nokia maps won't cost anything, if again you have a data package, or never allow it to go online. You can download maps for most countries from Nokia for free & install them on the phone.

SHATNERSTACTIC

Might be using a different version to me then. I have 7.1.26.0 and it appears like this :

f9d31b8108f94bfd8b6bfd583e2185dd.jpg

Try here Nokia Europe - Maps - Nokia Map Loader :thumbsup:

DodgeTheViper

Blummin odd that because i updated pc suite last night as well, and it's still not on mine !

DodgeTheViper

I've just noticed that it is a pay service.

Shugster

I've just noticed that it is a pay service.

What's a paid service? The maps are free. You only have to pay for turn-by-turn spoken directions, or data connection if you don't get that for free.

If you install the OVI software, it installs Nokia Maps too. You then select the country you want to install & sync

DodgeTheViper

Yeh i've done all that and the option appears to be on my phone. Once i click it though and it says 'allow online search and map download' , i stop it quick for fear of extra charges.

Last edited:

voxish

Standard Member
Yeh i've done all that and the option appears to be on my phone. Once i click it though and it says 'allow online search and map download' , i stop it quick for fear of extra charges.

If you download the maps via wifi or on the PC it's free (so long as you have the necessary download allowance - I thing Europe is 1.5GB or something). If you download with your phone using your phone's data allowance, it's a) liable to take a long time and b) almost certainly going to bust your phone provider's 'fair usage' limit.

I downloaded Nokia maps this afternoon - the advantage is you can browse routes offline and I imagine it's quicker (tho I haven't tried it yet). 'hybrid' maps don't seem to work and the satellite map doesn't zoom in very much at all.

I'm going to load google maps for comparison.

PS I'm on 3 Sim-only with 'internet max' bolt-on. Works fine.

Last edited:

DodgeTheViper

My 6600 also gives me the option to download via 'in home network'.

I didn't know my phone had Wi-Fi :rolleyes:

Think i might try the PC option then sync.

DodgeTheViper

I've got the maps but my phone needs a GPS. Looks like i'll be sticking to my TomTom.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom