1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

57wt29 or 57wh39

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nickj24, Oct 7, 2003.

1. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hope some1 can help advise me.i hav been looking 4 a long time on getting a rp & i like the toshiba's range better than ne others.i like the 57inch wt29 with digital built in but i see they now hav a new 1 out but without dd & digital tuner.is it worth gettin a rp.also do u hav to keep messsing about with the conveyance as i don't understand this.as i see demon has put a guide on but it totally lost me.hope u can help this newbie with information.thanks in advance regards nickj24.

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    only if you seek 'perfection' do you need to go and do what I did.. and even then that was only medium tweaking..

And thats the point, normally when you buy a large CRT set (32/36").. it will have some geometry and convergence problems.. and you are generally stuck with this.. but with the RPTV, you can get rid of any minor imperfections, and optimise its performance far more easily..

As for the convergence, this tends to drift around a bit if the first couple of weeks, but then settles down, and once settled down, should stay that way for a long time, maybe 6 months or so, and then its usually minor.. as for basic adjustment, although some manufacturers have auto convergence, the Tosh has a very very easy normal way of correcting the convergence via the normal TV set menu..

If you wish to tweak more, then you can go to the 'service' level and do the full blown thing, but thats only if you are an infernal twiddler like me!!!!

In my opinion, the newer 'xxwh36 series of RPTV have a noticeably better picture quality to the still excellent older wt29 models, so I would probably go for the newer model, and get SKY!! in fact its a good excuse to get SKY+ with the built in recorder... and as for Dolby Digital, well there are so many dvd/5.1 all in one units to choose from, and most offer more features to boot...

3. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much m8.regards nickj24.

4. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by the way demon i hav 2 motorised sat systems 1 with a hd built in as i watch a lot of films & football,thats y i want a big set.so u would reccomend a rp tosh set then.regards nickj24

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The source material is not an issue.. just the quality, as with any larger screen, a very poor source will not look better on a bigger screen!!!.. Essentially its a CRT based set, so whats fine for a 36" screen is fine for a 57" CRT RPTV.

I don't know a single person that has upgraded to a Toshiba RPTV that hasn't said they would never go back to a small CRT..

The only one consideration is that the vertical viewing angle is noticeable, but providing you are sitting anywhere in the room this isn't a problem.. and obviously the closer you sit, the more you will be able to see any artefacts associated with a poor source, such as grain/blockiness etc..

I'd say practically for a 57", you would need to be 9' feet away as a miniumum, and ideally 12 feet away...

Really then the only question you need to ask yourself is how close will you be sitting to the TV??? as this woul ddictate the ideal size..
    6-8 feet = 42"
    8-10feet = 50"
    9-12 feet = 57"

Mind you I use my XBOX, while sat about 4-5 feet away from my 51"... but I sit 9 feet away when watching a DVD...

As with all TV's you want to demo one if possible, ideally say with a decent SKY Feed, and see if they ahev eurosport or something to get an idea of what its like!!

6. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks demon 4 your advice i will be a least 9 feet away a it will be 9 feet to the front of my chair + a least 2 feet back on the chair.thanks again.will go & view 1 asap.thanks again.regards nickj24.