Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

576p or 480p?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gene, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just made a vga to component cable with bits and peices from maplins.

I change settings on my DVD player that sets my Infocus X1 projector to either 576p or 480p.

Which one is better, which should I stick to, are there any other modes that I should set it to instead?

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    576p will be for PAL material and 480p will be for NTSC.

Jeff

3. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I feel stupid now for asking that question, as I found some info using 'Search'.

At the time I was baffled by all these numbers, they didn;t seem to make sense. A bit more clearer now anyway. Cheers.

Presumeably now 576p would be best on an 800x600 projector.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,714
    IIRC, the X1 will crop 480 material, so that you get 800 x 450 of the 848 x 480 - you lose a few pixels from the sides and top/bottom, but this is less than the cropping you get from your tv. PAL is scaled to fit, and I don't think it crops the image.

So PAL is scaled down, and NTSC is 'pixel perfect'. In theory, you'll probably be better off playing PAL as PAL, and NTSC as NTSC, but try all combinations to see what looks best to you. :)

Gary.

5. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.

I must say that the picture quality is better now by leaps and bounds using component to vesa. I was using s-video before, and the difference hits you as soon as you see the picture come on screen.

I'll stick to s-video on my freeview box which only has scart, so I have a scart to s-video converter, but the faroudja chip should be doing its tricks.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    I do the same. The DVD player is set to component (with PS scan enabled) and S Video for my Freeview. It is fine just for TV programmes. I don't have a scart on my PJ so, I connect the Freeview to my HS2 DVD Recorder via scart and then connect the HS2 via S Video cable to my PJ. The strange thing is the Freeview scart is set to RGB (for RGB recording and going by RGB to a TV).