1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

576p or 1080i ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanA, Sep 28, 2005.

1. IanA

IanA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm contemplating a new DVD player to go with my Infocus Screenplay 5700. I've got a Pioneer 565a and Project onto a 10' x 6' screen

My question is this is it worth getting an upscaling player to project in 1080i or am I better off sticking with a 'normal' player and 576p.

My plan is to get in a 2910 to test but I was curious about forum members experience with the quality of 1080i vrs progressive.

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Progressive is meant to be better & I think it is most of the time. I find it gives a sharper picture with more detail. However, when I saw "Attack Of the Clones" on my Infocus 7205 there was a bit of noise which disappeared when I switched my 3910 to 1080i. Basically, my 3910 was scaling the picture to 1080i & then the pj scaler was taking it to 720p. This is not meant to be good, but it took away the noise, so who cares?

However, I can't imagine it's worth getting a new player at all since your pj is going to have to downscale a 1080i or 720p upscale to 576p, since this is the native resolution of the 5700.

Additionally, I find only a marginal difference between HDMI & progressive component. The HDMI has a little more detail & better contrast, but it's only slight, and I sometimes like the look of analogue progressive for some things & HDMI for others!

If you can get a 2910 at home to test, without buying, then at least you can see & judge for yourself. I doubt tho you will find it's worth spending the £500, or however much it is, on. But you might! :)

T.

3. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    IanA,

You also have to bear in mind that the 565 only outputs Progressive in NTSC and not PAL.

Steve

4. IanA

IanA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timbo,
    Thanks for that, seems like the audio output has gone on the DVD player hence I was looking to replace it. Having checked infocus site it does talk about downscaling from1080i, I would have thought the 576 lines would have been able to interlace to 1080. Does anyone know why it can't?

Looks like I'll be able to spend much less on a DVD player and much more on new DVd's :clap:

SteveJr,
    I've not seen that as an issue before Do you know it affects things?

5. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi IanA,

Shouldn't be a problem as long as your display/pj can accept both PAL and NTSC progressive signals. If it can't accept the NTSC one then you get a blank screen.

Steve