1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

575 component problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Shockabuku, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi @. Hoping someone can help me out here. I've been using my new Pioneer 575 via RGB scart on a crt tv just fine. Just tried to hook it up via component to my projector, and I'm getting nothing. Not only that, but the 575 menu doesn't seem to allow me to change the component setting...it just shows "interlaced" as being selected, and it's greyed out so I can't change it. I've RTFM & it didn't help. Any ideas? Cheers!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    unplug the scart lead. and try again.

3. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shockabuku,

Let me know how you get on,as this is all new to me.
    I'm still confused but that's normal in my case

Bill

4. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon, Could you bear with me on this;
    From the TV. menu I selected: Picture - Scan mode - at this point my options become, Progress., Natural, Active and 100Hz. Which one do I choose?
    (I chose Progress!)

From the DVD player menu I selected: Initial settings - component out, at this point my options become Interlace or Progressive. There is a small square infront of interlace when I highlight Progressive this square does not move.Does that matter? Anyway I highlighted Progressive and pressed enter to select - I hope!

When I take out the Scart lead I am back to start ie, there is no picture, do I require to leave the scart lead connected as well?????

Bill

5. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm no expert but I will offer my thoughts :) .

When you describe the following

"From the TV. menu I selected: Picture - Scan mode - at this point my options become, Progress., Natural, Active and 100Hz. Which one do I choose?"

That sounds to me just like you are choosing the picture quality and it will have nothing to do with the component sockets on the tv.

You need to look in the tv menus and find a section that would relate to external inputs , not sure what it will be called on your set but when you find it it should give you the option to select what kind of feed is going to your scarts etc.

Hope this helps a little.

Drphibes

6. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Drphibes;

Shockabuku, I have descovered how to get the Progressive Scan to select on the DVD Player!

Select -Initial Settings, then go to AV connector out, change from RGB to Video now go to component out and you will be able to select Progressive Scan.

I am still stuck with the TV, I have selected Progress., whatever that is, but when I take the Scart lead out the picture is no longer there.
    Do I require both Scart lead and Component lead connected to get Progressive scan?

Is their anybody out there with a Toshiba 36ZP48 or similar using Progressive scan that can help me out, please.

Bill

7. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought this player also and run it on a Tosh 36ZP38, so our setup should be similar.

Your right that you have to have the DVD player set to "Video" in the settings menu. I think you then need to power down, remove the scart lead and connect the Component lead (not composite lead!) Start the DVD up and enter the "Initial Settings" menu and then choose "Component" and then choose either "Intelace" or "Progressive" from that menu. You should then get a message warning that your TV must be capable of handling Progressive input.

I don't think you should have to change any settings on the TV until you get the DVD configured except to be sure that you know which AV socket your connecting to. On scart mine connects via AV 1, AV 2 or AV3. On Component its on AV 4. There is a setting on the Tosh TV that lets you designate digital input. Make sure you reset it from the AV the scart is on to the AV the Component lead is on. In the case of mine I changed from AV 3 to AV 4

hope this helps :thumbsup:

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Nice one guys...you do indeed have to disable the RGB mode down the scart (ie set it to composite "video") & then the component option becomes available. Cheers!

9. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I got my progressive scan working but now I have no sound on DVD playback.
    what the fudge can anyone help? Sound works elsewhere.Something about no signal came up while I was footering about.

Bill

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello all

Translation: Footering about - is a Scottish Technical term for fecking about with the on-screen menu's.

Bill whatever you do don't purchase a 5:1 Surround Sound AV Receiver - unless you include the price of a Home Install in the deal :)

Sounds like your nearly there.

Best regards

Joe

11. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Bill,

Which input are you using optical or co-ax. My parents have the 32" Tosh, I seem to remeber there being a menu option to assign the digital inputs to the AV inputs.

You will need to set whichever input you are using to AV4 so that the TV is receiving sound and vision on the same input.

Hope this helps,

Ian

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    RTFM, I doubt it.

13. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miniholic,
    I dont have any leads fitted to the digital inputs, either the co-axial or otherwise! do I need this to receive sound when I use component leads and progressive scan, if I do then this would be the answer to my problem.
    Here's hoping

Bill

14. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe Fernand,

Do I require a digital input lead? optical or co-axial, if so which is best?
    Bill

15. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Optical or 75 ohm co-ax. The whole 'which is best' is a very subjective issue. Personally I can't see how it makes a difference as its a digital bitstream its carrying.

The onlt real advantage I can see is that co-ax is a fair bit tougher and not as fragile as an optical lead. Like anything though you can spend silly money on either.

16. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Bill,

Yes, you need the digital lead as the component leads only carry a video signal. I use Co-ax but personally can't really tell the difference between the two, one arguement is that the optical signal has to be converted from electrical to optical and back to electrical, whereas the co-ax doesn't.

The co-ax should be a 75ohm one.

17. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help, I now have my machines up and running.I could not have done so without the help given on this forum.
    The only thing I don't know how to do is get my NTL cable programmes running on my new telly, can anyone help?

Bill

18. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I've not got NTL, but do have Sky, which uses the AV1 Scart on the TV. The back of you NTL box may have two scarts, one labelled VDR, if so use the other one as this might not output RGB which generally gives a better picture, then make sure that the box is set to output RGB in the setup menu's - this is all presuming that the NTL box will output RGB if not just connect in the same way with the scart lead.

Hope this helps.

19. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I have NTL....hook up the bottom scart on the NTL box to an RGB capable scart on the TV (usually scart #1), & use the NTL menu to ensure it's outputting an RGB signal.

20. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My box only has a co-axial output, what I really want to know is how to tune my new telly in to NTL, its a Toshiba 36ZP48.
    Bill.

21. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159

Your NTL box only has coax output? That's dreadful...bearing in mind it's effectively part of the service you're paying for, I'd get on the phone to them & request an updated box. Picture quality will be much better with an RGB connection. In the meantime, you should tune your tv into the NTL signal as you would any other channel...using the tv's onboard tuning facility.

22. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again everyone,

I managed to manually tune in my NTL and my VCR, Happy Days!

Bill

23. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No problem, no problem, no problem.

With due respect Bill, running three near identical posts in this forum is a bit of a time waster as different people end up answering the same question three times. This is slightly more annoying due to the fact that the problem arises from what appears to be a desire not to read the manual. I can only assume, old-Bill, that this is a result of you not being able to remember if, when and on which forums you put your posts.