1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5700 HD Ready?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Les E, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    With the Screenplay 5700 having HDCP compatibility and having the DVI input (via M1-DA) is this an assured sign that it is high definition ready?

I know the 7205 states that this HD ready but is a little outside of my budget. Love the 5700, seen 3 demos of the PJ and fell in love with it, but I don't want to be left out in the cold later on when HD DVD and broadcasts become available.

Any definate answers on this guys?

Also when buying the projector I will need to get a new DVD player, my current Sony is great but doesn't have Component, progressive scan and no essential HDMI output. Any suggestions on a great buy that would suit the Screenplay (oh, and multi-region! ;) )?

2. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Unfortunately the 5700 is not - strictly speaking - HD Ready. In Europe, in order to carry the "HD Ready" logo, the display must have 720 lines in a widescreen aspect ratio and accept a high definition signal (720p or 1080i) at 50Hz and 60Hz. The HDMI or DVI port must be HDCP compliant (see http://www.eicta.org/Content/Default.asp).

There don't seem to be many manufacturers carrying this logo at the moment. Pioneer plasma's and projectiondesign seem to be about it at.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Technically, the 5700 doesn't qualify to bear the "HD ready" logo as it has less than 720 pixels vertically (it's a 1024Hx576V model).

However, it can take HDTV inputs, and will display HDTV fine - but everything will be downscaled a bit to 1024x576p (from either 1280x720p or 1920x1080i).

While it depends of course on the actual quality of the signals, generally speaking you'll still gain a fair jump in quality going from PAL DVD to HD, even when that HD is downscaled to 1024x576, given the screen sizes and viewing distance generally used with projectors!
    While widescreen PAL DVD is often quoted at 1024x576, those 1024 horizontal pixels only actually contain 704 pixels worth of real detail - even downscaled, HD will still have about 50% more true horizontal resolution!

On the flip side, it has to be said that the downscaling process with HD, will inevitably mean losing some definition - perhaps it won't be quite as detailed as a true 720p HD model such as the 7210.

As to your DVD player, you don't actually "need" to change it - the 5700 has a decent deinterlacer built-in. You can just use RGB scart. You don't "need" a progressive scan DVD player.
    You don't actually need component either, and you don't really need HDMI yet either (on the DVD player that is). You may need HDMI if you use an upscaling DVD player, but there's really little point upscaling standard DVD in such a DVD player, only for the PJ to downscale it again for display!

Of course, you may just want these features :)
    And you may find that your current DVD player simply isn't up to it - depends what it is I suppose!

PS - you may want to double check that the 5700 will take HD inputs at 50Hz - I think it does, but double checking might be wise to avoid any future possible UK HD compatibility issues (HD in the UK looks like being mostly 50Hz based, as opposed to the 60Hz they use in the US)