1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

565A upgrade from S75

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Londondecca, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I need to send back my Panasonic S75 DVD player, it was a deal purchase with a Panasonic TV. I have now had 2 replacement TV's and I have finally given up. Therefore the S75 has to go back with the TV.

I was thinking about the 565A, is this an upgrade or is it an similarly performing machine. DVD-A and SACD would be nice but my main priorities are picture and sound quality.

Steven

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The picture on the pioneer is slightly inferior to the Panasonic I would say. The pioneer has poor chroma crosstalk meaning its composite and s-video outputs aren't great and suffer form minor colour patterning/moire effects. RGB is fine. The Pioneer is also rather stupid with regards its component port. Its NTSC progressive only so only NTSC dvds can use it which of course the Pioneer won't play unless its modified for multiregion. Neither will it convert PAL dvd output to NTSC like a lot of the cheaper chinese players.

The ideal setup for this player is someone using the scart RGB connection and who wants to play dvd audio and sacd discs as well as dvds.

The Panasonic has no SACD and doesn't play DVD Audio as well as the Pioneer but offers a slightly better picture and component socketry that works with both pal and ntsc (pal is interlace only).

Here's a review of the Pioneer;

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/fra...e.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3624

Some info on chroma crosstalk;

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/tes...hoice.com/testbench/DVDPlayers/DVDtests.shtml

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks, I guess I might buy a new S75 then. Alternatively, what DVD player would be considered a good upgrade from the S75. My budget would be £250 max if I buy now, maybe in a few months I could get £400 but that would mean no films until then.

4. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    While I would not necessarily disagree with bonzobanana comments about the 565, a couple are somewhat misleading.

The component output on the 565 will deliver both NTSC & PAL interlaced signals.
    In addition NTSC Progressive is also available. If a PAL disk is played while the Componenet outputs are set to NTSC prgressive, then the PAL output will be converted to NTSC and delivered as a progressive signal.
    (Bear in mind though that the conversion of PAL to NTSC progressive may introduce unwanted artifacts, as well as dumping appr 16% of the vertical pciture informatiom).

Otherwise the 565 will also cross convert NTSC to PAL, or PAL to NTSC for playback through RGB, S-Video or Composite, if not set to auto slect based on the disks actual encoding.

Info can be checked in the manual on the pioneer site.
    http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/peeservice/RegistrInstrMan.nsf/(CountDownloadinInstructionManuals3)?openagent&ID=0BF8E5154BF5B035C1256D50004FE9CF&Attachment=VRD1182_DV-565A-K.pdf

The 565 can also be easily converted from region2 to multiregion from a programable remote (pronto or similar) henc brining the price down by 20-30 pounds.

Sorry can comment on the panasonic model though as I have had no experience with it.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Sorry for the misleading information regarding component out, it was taken from the review posted. Perhaps an early firmware lacked the interlace component output. As you say even converts PAL dvds to NTSC progressive output but the quality is far worse than PAL interlace so not worth using.

Also I noticed the Pioneer has RGB scart issues with some Panasonic and Philiips tvs.

6. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Is the difference in these 100 pounds worth you reckon?

Phil

7. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hard to say entirely, especialy as I have not seen the panasonic.
    To a large degree it comes down to what features are important or will be important to you vs the performance.
    If DVD-1 & SACD are going to be on you hit list the the Pio is a good bet. If not then proberbly the relative picture / sound performance of the two will be the clincher.

If at all possible though try to audition both machines, prefferably together but seperately if not. What may look good to my eyes will be different for someone else (just ask my wife ::D )