55XE9305 Vs 55XF9005 (Swap offered)

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by StoufferTheCat, Aug 10, 2018.

1. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      So I've been having some issues with my 55XE9305.
      I managed to get thunderflies in my first one and then the replacement Sony sent me constantly flickered off/on. After a week of "emotional discussion" with Sony they have at last agreed to swap my TV over again.
      However they don't have any XE9305's available and have said as per terms & conditions they swap with a "better" model and have offered and arranged for a swap fort he XF9005.

Can anybody tell me what I'm going to lose by accepting this swap?
      I'm not sure what options I have, I'm guessing I could ask Sony to repair it. I can go back to John Lewis but I'm assuming in the first instance they just contact Sony, and we'll be back to where we are now.

Thanks all

2. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      I'm in exactly the same position. I'm not sure the XF9005 is equivalent is it? It has a much lower price than the XE had this time last year. The stand is also awful.

3. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +524
      The XF9005 is inferior in almost every respect. The AF8 OLED sits in the price range previously occupied by the XE9305, and that’s what I demand it replaced with, or the ZD9 (I do know they swapped out some 65” XD’s for ZD9, so you might get lucky).

4. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      Well now I don't know what to do.
      So The XE9305 is faulty, there is no coming back from that.
      It's now too late to give Sony a call, so that will have to wait until Monday.
      If they have no more XE9305's then I guess they cannot make one magically appear.
      So can anyone tell me specifically why the XF9005 is inferior to the XE9305? There is no point me calling Sony on Monday without at least a good argument why it isn't as good.
      How do you even go about saying "No, this isn't as good"?

5. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +238
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. Brightness XDR Contrast rating of 10x on the XE93 vs 6x for the XF90 (translated into peak brightness of close to 1500 nits vs bordering on 1000 nits. HDR is much more impressive on the XE93)
      2. Sound: 3-way speaker system on XE93 with front guiding duct
      3. Build quality: XE93 weighs almost twice as much, built like a tank

If it were an 'upgrade' the line wouldn't trickle down would it ... just like it doesn't here

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    6. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +524
      Peak brightness a lot lower (1400 nits vs 1000) so HDR inferior
      Superior Build quality (XE93 built like a tank with full rear panel covers, The XF is very plasticky and cheap by comparison).
      Audio is also better on XE93 (probably unimportant).
      Edit: forgot to add, the XE93 also has superior local dimming

Keep in mind the XF9005 is the direct replacement for last years XE9005, not the XE93.
      If I were to end up in your position with my 65XE9305 needing replacement, I’d settle for nothing less than a ZD9, but since Sony now don’t offer a higher range 55” LED beyond the XF, you might not have any other option but to accept their offer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    7. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      That's just about settled it for me. If Sony don't offer me a ZD9 or another XE then I'm going to demand a full refund.

8. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      Thank you for this post. It's EXTREMELY useful for me. Do you have much knowledge on the AF8? I'm not convinced about OLED technology yet especially in the lower price range.

9. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      So, I think I need to speak with Sony on Monday.
      However, if they don't offer me anything other than the XF90 I don't see what options I have. I didn't buy it directly from Sony, so I'd have to go to John Lewis. Who will take the TV away and I expect it'll go to Sony.
      So Sony might repair it, but if Sony then say to John Lewis - no, buggered, we'll give you an XF90 again I don't see what options I have.

10. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +524
      I’m not too knowledgable on the AF8, but if I were buying now I’d still be worried about OLED screen burn (due to my household watching a lot of “wrong” content).
      I honestly don’t know what I’d buy now, but I do know I wouldn’t accept a downgrade under any circumstances.
      If they won’t swap for a ZD9 (I assume your XE93 is a 65”), then I’d push for a refund.

11. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      It's not, it's a 55 - but I don't suppose that should make a difference.
      I'll call Sony on Monday and explain that local dimming is worse, which is important to the onscreen blacks. That peak brightness is lower, which in turn effects HDR performance.
      That they are offering a newer, however inferior TV as a replacement and I'm not willing to accept that.
      I think at that point I will have to allow them the opportunity to repair my XE9305 - which I'll accept and then see what happens.

12. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      Unfortunately it's a 55XE so I think I'm scuppered.

13. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      They don't repair the panels as it's not cost effective.

14. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      OK, lets approach this from a legal point of view then.
      I call them up on Monday and I say "I've now reviewed the TV you are offering me in return - I feel it is inferior because of worse local dimming, lower peak brightness and inferior HDR performance. I'd like either a model of equal or higher specification".
      They respond with "Nah, it's the XF90 - final offer".
      What can I actually do at that point? I mean who decides what is a better/inferior model?

I could go the retailer route, but they will effectively acting as an intermediary between me and Sony - so if Sony tell me retailer the XF90 is comparable - I'm SOL?

15. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      What warranty so you have with the retailer? If Sony won't offer a like for like replacement which they can't because this year they didn't make one equivalent the the 55XE, then they can only offer the XF or the different model like the oled. I think you (and I, being in the same situation) have a right to go back to the retailer and ask for a refund.

16. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      I fully agree, but I wonder what my retailer can do.
      I purchased my TV with a 5yr warranty - effectively the first year is with Sony and the last 4 with the retailer.
      I actually called them up when Sony were being less helpful and I was told they would collect the TV, Sony would assess it and what happens next would be decided by them - they will be paying for any repairs etc.
      So all I see my retailer being is a middle-man between me and Sony and I think they will get the same result.
      IF I can convince my retailer that the offered TV is of lower specification than what I bought then I'd expect them to replace with better or offer me a refund - I'd take either.

I'm going to phone Sony on Monday and explain the situation. I won't get upset yet because I've not given Sony the opportunity to revise their offer.
      The ZD9 I know is a lot higher specification than what I have - but it wont' cost "that much more" to Sony.

Question - was the XE9304 ever a thing?
      The ZD9 seems a fair compromise, but of course I'd say that. The AF8 is the technology I avoided when I choose the XE9305, but I'd probably take that over the XF9005 too.
      What I'd do with a £1300 refund I don't know - but that would at least give me the opportunity to do me research again and purchase the best for my money, when the XE93 was.

17. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +524
    18. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      Thanks for all the input.
      I've nothing else to add until I speak with Sony on Monday. I will report back just for closure on the thread.
      With my TV being a 55" I'm really looking at the following options:

1. They find me an 55XE9305
      2. They offer me a 65XE9305
      3. They offer me a 55AF8 (would have to long hard think on this as it's OLED)
      4. They offer me a full refund

Now time to work on my script :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    19. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      Please do let us know as I'm in a very similar situation. I hope you get a satisfactory outcome. I'd personally take the money and go shopping again.

20. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +238
      "Can I claim with the manufacturer or the retailer?
      If your product develops a fault, your rights to make a claim and get your money back lie with the retailer who you purchased the product from.

Don’t be fobbed off by retailers who encourage you to go to manufacturers in the first six months. Remember, it’s down to you – you have the right to pursue a faulty goods claim with the retailer rather than a warranty or guarantee claim with the manufacturer.

If you want to make a claim using your manufacturer guarantee or warranty, your route to claiming would be to your warranty provider, who is often the manufacturer."

When can I use a manufacturer's warranty or guarantee?

Factory warranty is always a bonus, they should 'never' be your first contact to claim warranty. It may make things simpler but really you are letting the retailer, where the responsibillity lies, off the hook.
      They don't even have to offer you another Sony per se I believe but maybe that's your personal choice of brand.

21. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      First update (for anyone interested) is unfortunately not much of an update.
      Explained over the phone the issue I had, I never know how technical the people I'm speaking with are. She started explaining again that they were replacing it, as per the terms and conditions, with a TV of equal or better. I stopped her and explained it wasn't - mentioning local dimming and HDR as the two main reasons and those being two features I specifically looked at when choosing the XE9305.
      She then said "So really you just want another TV the same as you've currently got". Yes I exclaimed. She is speaking with the "Central resourcing team" and I've got a call back tomorrow afternoon between 2:00pm - 4:00pm.
      Ideally they will manage to locate me another 55XE9305.
      If not I'll be pushing for either a 65XE9305 or 55AF8.
      I really don't want the refund if I'm being honest - what do I spend £1300 on right now? So my third option will be I accept the 55XF9005 and ask for a rebate of £300.

I'll keep you posted after tomorrows discussion.

22. Mortey

Mortey
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      I hope it works out for you. However good the 9005 is it is not a replacement for the 9305 from what I saw and what I read.

23. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      I think you are doing the right thing. I hope they can find you another XE! If not stick to your guns as the XD is inferior so you do right to ask for money back. It's dawned on me 55" Sony owners are high and dry at the moment.

24. Mortey

Mortey
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      Yes it does seem that way. Thankfully mine is okay at the moment but it does worry me for the future, mine came with a 5 year Sony warranty so I am stuck with them!

25. Cameron583

Cameron583

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +268
      Where did you get the TV from? That's who you should be having the discussion with, not Sony

26. stoli412

stoli412
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      I'm in the exact same situation: a 55XE93 trying to be replaced with an 55XF90. I refused due to the inferior specs and they said they would come back to me today with an update. This morning I got an email saying they'd throw in £100 'compensation' if I took the XF90. I refused again and said I would only accept another XE93, and failing that I would accept an A1 or AF8 (reluctantly...I avoided OLED last year when I was making a decision). Keeping my fingers crossed that Sony will do the right thing...I really don't want to have to go shopping for a TV again.

27. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +50
      As pointed out to me in another thread, getting a refund and going TV shopping again will be so difficult at this time of the year. This time last year my XE9305 I'm sure was closer to the £1600 than the £1250 I eventually paid for it in February/March.
      If I end up with a full refund now, there is quite literally nothing out there within budget and I'm going to be waiting 6 months before I am able to buy again.
      I'm awaiting a "final offer" from Sony which I'm told will be tomorrow.
      I too would reluctantly take the A1 or AF8, I avoided OLED too, however on pure specification I'd be willing to give them a try.
      Alternatively I'd be tempted if they offered me a 65XE9305 with my final acceptance being the XF9005 and £300 compensation.

Answering above. John Lewis (UK) is my retailer and it is my fall back. I had an original TV that had bugs inside which Sony swapped without a problem. However the TV they swapped was in a worse state, so the reason I'm still going through Sony direct is that they are the reason I'm in the situation I'm in!
      I have the horrible feeling my retailer will take the refund route - not necessarily the best option right now (see above).

28. stoli412

stoli412
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      Sadly I couldn't consider a ZD9 if offered to me. It was hard enough convincing my other half to get a 55-inch TV, so a 65-inch would be out of the question! I'll keep you posted on what Sony come back with, hopefully tomorrow morning. I bought mine through RicherSounds, so hopefully we can work something out if Sony won't budge. No amount of compensation will make me accept the XF90.

29. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      I'm the same as you. Its not our fault that Sony have chosen not to make a comparative spec set this year. I also got my set from RicherSounds and got the 6 year warranty so I'm a bit pi&&ed I'm having to deal with Sony's painfully slow process on this occasion. Please do let me know what RS says if you end up having to go to them. I suspect they know I wont accept an XF and that's why they are being so slow to come back to me. Last time I had an upgrade to and XE in less than ten hours from submitting the photographs. This time its already been 5 days!

If Sony and/or RS can't offer a suitable alternative I'm probably going to say I'll keep my set and IF it gets worse I'll come back to them, at least that might buy me time to bring something suitable into a similar price bracket for what I originally paid which was £1600 for an XD which is scandalous considering how bad that set turned out to be! I do absolutely love my XE though.

30. Cameron583

Cameron583

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +268
      Hmmm, I understand your predicament.

Have you actually looked at an XF in person? While everyone is telling you the XE is better because it has higher numbers, it's worth checking out in person, because you may find the difference isn't noticeable to you. If that's the case, swapping for that and £300 cash may be a worth while investment - it'll give you some money to get a 4K blu ray player, if you don't already have one.